Liberty - Misfire

Some time ago, I posted to this group about a chronic problem with my 2003 Liberty - giving P300 codes (misfire in multiple cylinders). We finally noticed a pattern that it only occured when the AC was running. The dealer started running their analyzer with the AC compressor running, and not running, and found a substantial difference that did not appear with other vehicles. Noticing that the compressors on the new Libertys on the lot were at least 4 EC levels later (this from the part number), they decided to swap out the compressor. What was unusual, is that the Denver Mopar depot was over 50 compressors back-ordered! Rather than making me wait, the dealer pulled a compressor from a new vehicle on their lot. The misfire problem has not occured since.

Does this make sense to anybody? Also, has anybody heard any problems with the compressors? I'm told that Denver is almost never back-ordered on this part.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Yelen

Bruce Yelen did pass the time by typing:

Sense... sorta...

Could have been due to the clutch pulling too much current or feeding back electrical noise that interfered with the ignition or computer circuit. But your right, that does sound like a mighty long stretch. :/

Anyhoo, glad your Jeep is back and running.

Reply to
DougW

Anything that causes the PCM to detect crankshaft speed fluctuations outside normal parameters can cause it to trigger a misfire DTC. Loose, slipping, vibrating accessory belts, etc. Maybe a slipping/chattering A/C clutch? Compressor with an internal problem? Lots of possibilities when talking misfire faults. Fortunately, it's usually a misfire. :-)

Reply to
bllsht