Lifter noise...should I worry?

It seems as though the only people that know about a 258 are in this group! If I go to the shop for _anything_ motor wise, I'm told about the blow-by (bad rings etc.). I'm guessing they're wanting to charge me for a rebuild?! Anywhoo, question is this. I'm starting (well have been), hearing some lifter noise. Mostly at start-up with higher oil pressure. It seems to go away after things warm up, and pressure gets a little lower. Other times it is there when engine is warm. Is there a 'fix' for this? Or is my '89 258 with 120k about to take a big nap? TIA

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

Your symptoms are not unusual for these motors at that mileage. If it's like mine you also have leaks and blow-by. No doubt these are the signs of a motor that is wearing out. My intention is to run mine till it gives up (not my daily driver) and then rebuild/replace. I have about the same mileage as yours and won't be surprised to get another 50K out of it.

Reply to
JimG

I had the same problem (258, 293,000KM). About 6 months ago I started putting about half a litre of lucas in with my oil and I haven't heard it since.

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Your engine is not worn out at 120k. Clean the breather on the rear plastic fitting on the valve cover. It will brake if you try to remove it. Just pull out the small plastic hose and then use a small screw driver to clean the opening. For your noise my 96 with 142k is noisy and it's the pistons and lucas won't help there but Restore does. My vintage had (96) problems with the wrong size pistons being put in but I don't think your 89 suffered from that "feature".

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Thanks for the info, folks. I hate the thought of being 'Jeep-less'. Right now it is my every day vehicle. I was kinda wondering if a PCV problem would make the lifters rattle, after Mike mentioned it response to my blow-by question. It just seems that everything is happening at once. Maybe I should replace all vacuum lines as well? My next question will be about the fast idle cam :(

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com (Jo=A0Bo) wrote: Your engine is not worn out at 120k.

Thank goodness!

Clean the breather on the rear plastic fitting on the valve cover. It will brake if you try to remove it. Just pull out the small plastic hose and then use a small screw driver to clean the opening.

Hmm, I have something that resembles a PCV valve near the rear of the valve cover, but there is a large rubber hose going from there to the air filter.

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

Both of my 258's have had a lifter noise when first started. I just figure is is a lifter or 3 that is a bit weak until the oil pressure pumps them up or they have some build up that needs heat to loosen.

And I know folks that did get suckered for a rebuilt because of the 'blow by' including the previous owner of my Jeep. He was told the engine was toast but I found a brand new crank and cam in it after I opened it to see....

All mine needed was a new canister.

Mike

Daniel Paisley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Different engines, one has a CCV that plugs, the other a PCV and canister.

Mike

Daniel Paisley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Mike=A0Romain)wrote: Different engines, one has a CCV that plugs, the other a PCV and canister._____________________________________________________________ Well I found the canister, that thing _is_ way down there isn't it?! I still am unsure about the PCV valve looking thing behind the air breather. I've looked all through my Haynes and the best thing I found was a diagram saying "PCV air in". Now does this just get cleaned, or replaced? Tomorrow I'm doing the "pinch" test. I'm also putting some serious thought into this 'nutter' thing. I'm not concerned with NOx, C3p0, R2D2, or any of it. Would just running without a CAT make any difference? We have no emission testing here :) Dan =A0=A0

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

The PCV system has a fresh air in hose that goes to the rear of the valve cover. It is just a big empty hose and fitting drawing fresh air from the air filter.

If the cat has issues, it will run 'way' better without one.

Mike

Daniel Paisley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain