Like I needed another reason not to trust a dealership...

A little off topic, my 97 Chevy Astro 2WD. Took the van in for front brakes... why not do it yourself you ask?

Well, 60k ago it was in for warranty work and I also needed pads. Turns out the Delco pads have a lifetime warranty, cool. They called a few hours later and said I needed new shoes (soon) as well - I said not to bother, I'll do it myself.

The following weekend I took the rear wheels off to see how soon I would need shoes... hmm, that's odd, they replaced them! I guess they 'assumed' I would want them done while it was in the shop and went ahead with it, and then called. I wasn't charged for the rears - their loss.

So, 60k later the pads are squealing and I have a clunk in the front end - I thought it was one of the idler arms. A couple hours later they call and tell me I need:

(Canadian Funds) Front pads = Free + labour Rear shoes = They're fine

2 rotors = $240.00 2 idler arms = $720.00 + 1.2 hrs labour ($111.00)

Fortunately, I work nights and was in bed when they called so when my knees buckled I was fine. I told them to install pads only. I haven't checked the rotors yet but there were no vibes and have only been turned once - before I call BS on them, I will inspect and measure them myself.

On the way home I stopped into another GM dealer a mile away and was quoted $362 for the arms.

When I got home I called the jobbers: Napa: $281 for Dana / $93 for 'white box' PartSource: $240 for TRW / $96 for 'white box'

Can anyone justify a $600 difference between Delco arms and 'white box'? I'll probably end up with the TRW's... PartSource has them in stock and I like to support a store that offers a free loan-a-tool program.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

L.W.(ßill)

GM idler arms are CRAP. Buy the MOOG "problem solver" replacement arms, even if you have to pay more for them. Be sure to check the other joints for wear and then get it re-aligned after the work is done.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Here's an article from The Car Connection, the resident mechanic is noticing huge increases in prices. Seems like the manufacturers found a way to offset the cost of all of the rebates and low finance rates.

Mort

Astro vans use two idler arms, it is a unique steering setup, and no, the idler arms aren't very good. Go with the Moog, like the other guy suggested. If you are handy, you can install them yourself.

I work for a GM dealer, and parts prices are out of control. Dealerships aren't the root of this evil, we are just passing the savings along. Just today, the owner of a 2002 Chevy truck brought it to me because of some brake concerns. What he needed was four new rotors, due to corrosion and flaking of the brake surface. Total cost of parts alone: $1086. I can think of no reason to charge over $400 apiece for rear brake rotors, but hey, I am not the union-controlled manufacturer of said parts.

The alternative to this particular fellow's dilemma is to purchase aftermarket (read: Chinese forced child labor camp) brake rotors for a fraction of the price. So now you have that on your conscience as well. You decide.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Hmmm... My conscience has a very tenuous connection to my wallet these days.

Reply to
Will Honea

Here's my theory. The 'lifetime warranty' brake pads are made to last a long time so they are made much harder than 'regular' pads. Being harder, they wear out your rotors much faster. You end up spending more $$$ on new rotors. Stick to the less expensive pads which are intended to wear out and be replaced every 50,000 miles or so. They are intended to be the expendable parts. Just my $.02. TrailMarker.

Reply to
TrailMarker

I get your point but these pads only had about 35,000 miles (60,000 Kms). On visual inspection the rotors looked fine but the micrometer will tell the tale.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Jerry; Do you always have a cynical point of view. GM does not have wonderful little elves making there brake rotors or any other of there parts either . Who makes the parts for GM? Your complaining about how the customer is being ripped off at your dealership and then stating that it's just tough shit and you need to support the world of retired and future GM employees. It sounds like to me that GM supported the forced child labor companies and put on Shit rotors in the beginning. Auto manufactures have been out sourcing parts for years. I'll buy from a union man or woman every time if possible. Now lets see how much is the dealer paying for his parts and how much is he marking them up to pay for your wages and putting the remainder of the 200% in his fat little picket. What does your father own the dealership? Get real

Reply to
JIM LAIRD

Hi Jim, and thanks for your response.

My father does not own a dealership.

Parts markup is in the neighborhood of 40%.

It is just an unfortunate fact that American made brake rotors cost more money. It is a personal decision that each of us must make when it is time to replace parts. Do you feed hard working American families, or do you feed the Chinese forced labor camp money machine? Go ahead and answer truthfully, I am not judging you.

I am not cynical, I was simply trying to be helpful. Now at least our subject is well-informed about his choices, and can decide for himself.

Thanks again for the conversation. It is always lovely to debate with you.

Jerry

Dealerships

Reply to
Jerry Newton

...the chinese prolly need the food more.. =-) Besides everyione knows the "good" stuff comes from taiwan....lol

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

You seem to be convinced that we can't do both.

Reply to
Matt Osborn

You seem to have the opinion that it is my job to give money to the Chinese. Liberal much?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Two more false assumptions.

Reply to
Matt Osborn

Well, if you aren't going to state your opinion, I am not going to beat it out of you. Have a nice day.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

I thought you'd never ask. Roughly 28% of American farm land is planted in soybeans. The Chinese are the largest importer of American soybeans (286 million bushels in 2004). Those farmers certainly gain by trade with China.

American soybeans:

China's soybean imports:

US is the second largest exporter to China behind only Japan. We do import more from China than we sell, but the Chinese market is growing and our exports are growing with it.

US/Chinese import/export numbers

Not all Americans can afford the cost of US made products, especially if they are no better than cheaper Chinese imports.

Free trade generates more jobs for the US than it loses. They are different jobs, more of them are in the service sector than in manufacturing, but they pay better and are more interesting.

We can close our borders to free trade, but we will lose the jobs anyway and will end up paying more for the goods we manufacture here.

Reply to
Matt Osborn

US subsidies to soybean farmers equal $11,000,000,000 (yes, billion) from

1995-2002. Source: USDA. Maybe you can explain to me why I need to pay our farmers to grow soybeans to sell to China.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Reply to
Matt Osborn

Yes, BUT, after you add state taxes, sales tax, license taxes, estate taxes, permits for this, fees for that, and in some areas county taxes plus city taxes, etc, etc, etc. It can go to 50 percent AND MORE in some cases. Just look at gas taxes for example. I don't know about other states but here in Arizona that's about 35 cents a gallon.

Taxes are WAY out if line. A straight sales tax of 10 percent or 15 percent or whatever works out to be fair percentage would be a much better deal for everyone. And by a "fair percentage" I don't mean what they think they can gouge us for. I mean what is the least they really have to have to run the government. (Which is already WAY too big!)

Reply to
Charlie