Line-X CJ Tub & underside engine hood

I just got my Jeep back from the local Line-X shop. I decided on Line-X rather than Rhino or other linings based on recommendations from friends and this group. I had been running without carpet for about a year and the inside paint was looking rather worn. I am really pleased with the results.

The shop charged me $600 for the tub and $100 for the underside of the hood. I took everything out of the tub and flat towed it to their shop. It took them about a day to finish. If I wanted any other color but black they charge an additional $200. I took out all the floor plugs and they masked most of the bolt holes. A few of them I had to cut with a razor or sand down with a Dremel tool.

While I had the hood off and taking the hinges and other parts off I decided to have them powder coated. It's like breathing new life into the grumpy 'ol girl.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

twaldron

Probably noise and heat.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
twaldron

I was wondering the same thing. I would not have had the underside of the hood done.

There is a FJ40 somewhere out here that had the EXTERIOR done with one of these products. He used Red for his color of choice. I would guess that having the entire vehicle done in LineX would be very difficult to wash ...

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Or melt and drip all over the engine.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Line-X is good up to 380 degrees before it begins to melt. I don't expect my engine to get that hot!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Over ten years.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
twaldron

Hi Bill,

I agree that applying Line-X to the underside of the hood is not a good idea, but you have got to come up with a better link than that! This ain't no wood stove we're talkin 'bout here!

: hundred degrees at the catalytic converter:

Reply to
JimG

Take this one for example:

JimG (ps... you are the link-mister after all ! )

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I'll definitely post something if the Line-X doesn't hold up in there. The shop that did it says they do a lot of engine hoods (Pickup trucks, mostly) and haven't had a problem. It is, after, a long way from the header...

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

If the heat off the manifold got the hood that hot stock paint wouldn't even hold up to it. Normal 2 part auto paint generally has heat resistance around the same range as your line-x (300 to 400 degrees IIRC).

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Crash burn and live might have sold two parts :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > Or melt and drip all over the engine.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Heat, noise & aesthetics. I had pulled the original insulation off the hood a year ago (when I changed the hinges & other hood hardware) and have been looking to replace it ever since. The Line-X seemed to be the perfect replacement, assuming it doesn't melt, catch fire or explode!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

There's INSULATION!? Real Jeeps don't have under-hood insulation.

Reply to
CRWLR