liquid sealant?

Water gets into my '95 YJ every time it rains. I tracked it down to the side windshield hinge bolt area but my efforts to seal it with RTV have failed so far. Does anyone know if there is liquid automotive sealant available? Something that will seep into cracks by capilary action and seal leaks.

Thanks

Reply to
nrs

Looking around on the web it looks like a spray on gasket dressing could work. Sound like it might work?

Thanks

Reply to
nrs

That might work. You really want to get that RTV off the frame. It will outgass acetic acid and eat the frame up to nothing, literally. For vehicles, a butyl caulk is better or stuff called 'seam sealer'.

Maybe you have a leak at the window frame to tub gasket? Sometimes the ends of the gasket come up a bit short. They also leak at the corners of the windshield glass gasket.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike,

The windshield gasket edges are always dry but the frame to tub gasket is a possibility... will check it some more.

Reply to
nrs

Thanks Mike,

The windshield gasket edges are always dry but the frame to tub gasket is a possibility... will check it some more.

--- --- --- "Seam sealer" from an auto body repair supply shop. Poor fitting doors?

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

It does have one poor fitting door but this leaks onto the rubber mat so it never gets to the sheetmetal. The leak that bothers me is one that seems to be between the reinforcement pillar and the outside sheetmetal. It's been hard to track down and even harder to seal. The water seems to run down side behind the pillar and comes out at the floor level, no dripping, it only wets the carpet on the underside.

Thanks

Reply to
nrs

It does have one poor fitting door but this leaks onto the rubber mat so it never gets to the sheetmetal. The leak that bothers me is one that seems to be between the reinforcement pillar and the outside sheetmetal. It's been hard to track down and even harder to seal. The water seems to run down side behind the pillar and comes out at the floor level, no dripping, it only wets the carpet on the underside.

Thanks

--- --- --- I recommend fixing the door before looking for other problems. You can't absolutely guarantee that a poorly fit door won't let some water into that pillar. The sheet metal is galvanized but that doesn't mean that water won't hurt it with time. If you don't have the big metal drain plugs removed you can lift the carpet and stick a shop vac nozzle under there to get the water out.

The big metal drain plugs are glued in, but they can be unglued or you could drill a hole in the middle of both and put in some of those rubber drain plugs. With the floor mats sitting on top they won't let fumes back in unless you have a real bad exhaust leak, bad enough to warrant fixing it.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

For leaks you just can't get to, go to a windshield shop and get some urethane sealer. Nasty crap to work with, but it will run into tight places (and get all over everything) pretty well.

I think Earle's suggestions are the best attack.

Reply to
Will Honea

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into getting the door to fit better and the urathane sealer.

Reply to
nrs