Lo gear (1) stall on JGC

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee and am wondering is it normal for the engine to stall when going downhill faster than the enginecan brake? When I switch to

4WD and put the auto trans into 1st gear and start climbing a steep hill, if I let the jeep roll back a few feet on an incline, the engine stalls out and the engine light comes on. Same for going downhill. I have it in lo gear and begin my decent, if I let go of the brake and try to let the engine do the braking, it stalls when it picks up a little speed (5mph). I though you are suppose to use the engine braking feature in lo gear to help you with decents. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?
Reply to
Sean