locking hubs

I've read that if you don't wheel often, it's a good idea once a month to lock in your hubs for a few miles, to splash lubrication up on the bearings.

If this is true, why not just leave the hubs locked in all the time? Then you'll get constant lubrication, and if you need to shift into

4wd in snowy/muddy/rainy conditions, you won't have to mess with getting out in the sloppy weather and manually locking the hubs in.
Reply to
sm3gurpal

habbi

Yup, what he said.

I leave mine locked this time of year....

Mike

habbi wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

When I first got my jeep I was driving down the highway and it felt squirrelly. I didn't have the power I thought I should but I didn't have a reference so I thought this is how it should be. Then I went for a smog check and the guy found that the hubs were locked. After that my jeep drove much better on highway speeds.

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I seriously cannot remember the last time that my hubs were NOT locked. I have had my front hubs locked _almost_ constantly for the past several years. the only time I actualy made the effort to be sure the hubs were not locked was when I drove my CJ5 from San Diego to Sacramento, and from Lake Tahoe back to San Diego. The trip from Sacramento to Tahoe was on the dirt, and the hubs came in handy for that leg of the trip.

Given the weather conditions you are talking about, I would encourage you to leave your hubs locked so that you can use 4WD without getting your shoes dirty.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)