Lookin ahead... Moab 2005... need guide

Our club is planning a trip to Moab, October 2005. I know it's a ways off, but need to plan early. Being from the east coast, and have never been there, it will be a big excursion for us. It would be great to have a guide from RAMJ+W!

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Well, I can tell you its a lovely time of year to be there! Of course, just like in the spring, you can get storms and snow. However the week I spent there one fall was fantastic.

Suggestion: Leave yourselves at least one day free from Jeeping...for working on rigs, shopping, sighseeing, the parks, etc.

Keep us posted on your plans - who knows, by then I might have the $ for another trip.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Jim, you might want to check in with the Red Rocks 4 Wheelers Club in Moab. I'm sure they can get you plenty of info and even a guide or two.

Moab is a VERY big place and it's easy to get disoriented & lost, not a comfy feeling out there. This is SERIOUS wheeling country, no matter what trail you're on, and not to be taken casually. Take lots of food, water, spares, & file a "flight plan" with your hotel or with the BLM office if you plan to get real way out there. Incredible country and a great experience very time. Plus, lots of great rigs around town all year long, enough to make you plan upgrades to the point of bankruptcy, divorce, or both!

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I've heard good things about this guy from people I know and trust.

I'd guide you, but I don't know what I'm doing next week, let alone 2 years from now

Dean

Reply to
Dean

He's rumored to be a really good guy, but...oh man, if he just had an off switch for his mouth...

Go talk to the boys at Moab Off Road - they also can help you out and get you connected. They are really good/nice folks! Also, check in Canyonlands RV Park (its right in the middle of town) and see if Winnie & Bashful or Grey Fox is still camped there. They were some good guides for our group. They stay there a good part of every year, so you just ask at the campground office - they know them by name/handle/rig/etc.

Reply to
jbjeep

I live about 2 hours from there and know most of the trails. Unfortunately I am getting ready to tear my CJ-7 down and I'm not sure how much time I'm gonna spend putting it all back together. Just depends on how serious I get, and how many additional projects I decide to do while I'm at it. That and I'm saving for a wedding, so the funds for the rebuild will be a little harder to come by this year. I should be done by then though!!! I don't think I'd be your best choice as a guide, but if you need somebody desperately, let me know. If nothing else maybe I'll tag along for a day just to meet a fellow RAMJAW guy. I LOVE going in October or even in the dead of winter. The trails are practically empty and the weather is fine. I'm also getting married in 05 so I'll probably burn most of my vacation on my honeymoon.... and NO, she won't want to go to Moab :-)

What kinda trails will you guys be doing? Easy/Moderate/Difficult/Extreme Are you gonna be camping, RV'ing, or moteling it? How long are you staying?

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Thank you folks for the info! So far there is just four that have committed, so any one else would be welcomed (jenn & Dean).

Kevin, we would do trails in the range of Difficult to Extreme. We are all experienced, locked F&R with at least 35" tires, and properly geared, you tell me what we would be capable of. We will probably ride 3-4 days and be staying in motels.

Thank you Gerald for your wise comments, a couple of us would be running mapped GPS systems and we would be very serious and professional.

I am sure as time goes on we will talk more about this trip.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

With that kind of equipment and experienced drivers you'll be just fine on anything Moab can dish out.

As for finding your way around the trails it is relatively easy lately, all the named trails are pretty clearly marked. Now if you are exploring the old mining roads that is another story entirely. There are thousands of miles of back roads and while you can find your way around with a compass and a topo map it is a real skill test. Nowadays a GPS takes some of the fun out of it, but at least you always know where you are.

As for choosing October for your trip I can't think of a better time to go. The temps are more comfortable, the crowds are gone, and you are almost guaranteed good weather. One thing you might want to consider is renting a condo for your group. My last trip was a couple of weeks ago and my group rented a 3 bedroom 2 bath, 1 car garage condo for about $190 / night. (Oh, and did I mention that October isn't the high season so you can pick up steals on lodging?)

Dean Thank you folks for the info! So far there is just four that have

Reply to
Dean

---------------------------

Every morning in Moab a bunch of 4 wheelers gather in the City Market Supermarket parking lot about 8 AM and head off in different directions. I have not gone out with a group so I can't tell you exactly what they do or where they go. My best is that the hardcores go off to some pretty tough trails and the wimps like me go off on some of the tamer trails.

I have seen everything from brand new Grand Cherokee Limiteds to extreme off road machines in that gathering. There are usually 15 to

25 there every morning on weekdays and probably a lot more on Sat. and Sun.

As somone suggested, contact the Red Rock 4 Wheelers Club and they can fill you in on more information.

You might try

for more information aboutMoab and should be able to find an email address there. You might want to get the book "4WD Trails: Southeast Utah" from
I have several of their books on different areas and they are all very good. You can also download waypoints from their website for the trails they show in the book.

I have a GPS/laptop with the USGS 1:24,000 maps and it is a tremendous help. You could easily get very lost around Moab and it can be very unforgiving country. Using the downloaded waypoints lets me plot the course on my laptop.

Moab is great. I live in Texas so it is only a 2 day drive for me. Been there for a week every year for the past 3 years and always look forward to going back.

Bill Tolle

Reply to
Bill Tolle

This website has a lot of good trail info. For cheap lodging we stay at the Redstone in.

Trust5280