Looking for advice on new Liberty tires.

Hi. I'm currently posted overseas with Uncle Sam, and I'm sick of the stock Goodyear Wrangler ST 215 75R16's. For the next few years the jeep will be spending 99% of it's time on city streets and highways, and I need something good in wet and rainy conditions. The stock tires are absolutely dangerous with any wetness at all.

I understand that 235 70R16s are the way to go and will fit without any rubbing? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The local base has a contract and can order most tires from Goodyear, Michelin, Dunlop and Cooper that have both the DOT and E ratings that I need to take it to most parts of the world that I might be posted. Would appreciate any suggestions within those four brands.

Incidentally, the Liberty -- while often badmouthed by some who play "off road" games -- has been an excellent "crap road" vehicle. (Most of the earth is covered with some sort of road, but 95% of them are crap trails or heavily potholed asphalt.) Since late 2001 I've had this Jeep on everything from rainy-season dirt tracks in West Africa to the other extreme of the Autobahn (middle lane... ~ 95 - 100 mph) and found that this vehicle is hard to beat as a "take everywhere around the world" vehicle. Yes, the Africa-only-spec (not available in EU or US) Toyota Land Cruisers are the kings of the bush, and the BMWs are kings of the Autobahn left lane, but the Liberty does a variety of everything better than anything else I've seen. It was one of the first built and has had had practically zero problems. Only tiny issue has been a dome light that comes on or flashes unexpectedly once every five or six months but then turns off when the engine warms up.

Anyway, thanks. Al

Reply to
al

Where are you stationed Al?

How much high speed driving do you do?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Michelin own/sell BFG tires I believe so the BFG AT could be a decent tire for you. We run them up here in Canada year round and they are a decent all round tire. They last nice too.

We have never been stuck in snow or on trials snowy or muddy in them. Well, once the bottom dropped out of a 'puddle' that hung up up on the back bumper so we needed a tug, but otherwise...

Mike

Mike Romain

Was that the 'tug' that tore your bumper off?

Reply to
Billy Ray

I have been using Michelin LTX M/S tires for two winters (north of Philadelphia) on my 97 ZJ. I chose them for good wet response and reasonable performance in snow. They are also reasonably quiet and work okay in dirt, etc. Last winter they did a great job in plowing through about 10-12 inches of new snow before the plows got there.

That said, my son uses BFG ATs on his 95 ZJ. He's located in Breckridge Co (9600 ft) so he needs great snow performance. He also trusts them offroading in the mountains. They are noisy on the highway.

I bought my LTXs from tirerack.com. They have reasonable information and reviews from customers of various brands. Even with shipping their price was very reasonable.

Reply to
Howard

He is probably wanting to purchase them through the base PX (for the pricing) so he is probably limited to the brands listed.

Just about anything would be better than what he has now

Without knowing where he is stationed and the particulars about where he might drive it would be hard to know if he would be better off with a highway all season or all-terrain tire.

Reply to
Billy Ray

"al" wrote

*snip*

[...]

C'mere so I can kiss you big boy!!!!

Kate

2O|||||||O5 Liberty
Reply to
KJ.Kate

LOL! Nope, it was the drop into the puddle just before the tug....

Mike

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Was there anything besides rust and paint holding it on?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Dang straight Bill, that's why I'm hanging out here with ya'll!

KJK

: > C'mere so I can kiss you big boy!!!! : >

: > Kate : > 2O|||||||O5 Liberty

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Hi Al, I too was quite disappointed in the squirliness of the Goodyear tires typically found on Jeeps, with little grip in rainy conditions, especially early on until the oil washes away. I drive mostly on some manner of road, only sometimes going off on power line trails. Most of the roads are regular roads, and some of them are pretty trashy, pot holey back roads and other unpaveds.

So I switched from the typical off-road tire to the standard road truck tire Michelin X Radial LT, which I bought in BJ's - a wholesale club like Sam's Club here in the USA. Dunno if you can get these through your base. I have been very happy with these as they made the TJ handle much better on the road, in all conditions. It actually does what I tell it to do without any worrying if it will let go or slip. I have about 40,000 miles on them with maybe half the tread left? For what I do off road they do fine. If they ever wear out I intend to put another set of the same on.

Hoping this helps, Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yes, it was only the plastic end piece that got ripped off.

Mike

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi all. Thanks for the responses so far. Right now I'm actually in the UK and will be for two to three years, so at this point it looks like lots of highway and city driving in constantly wet/rainy weather. Some ice or light snow on occasion in the winter. No heavy snow. Probably going to go for something completely highway oriented and safe on the wet surfaces for this set of tires.

Checked with the base tire shop today but it looks like they are limited mostly to various Goodyears in this size. Don't have the list yet but they are sending it to me.

The tirerack.com link was a good recommendation and it seems like they might even ship to APO military post offices. Even with the shipping it doesn't seem too much worse than the base price. The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (Highway All-Season) seem to have an extraordinarily high rating especially for wet weather.

Cheers, Al

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
al

I have found that Liberty's are good for this kind of stuff :

But wife is hard to live with afterwards.

Reply to
jcwelch

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III