Looking to poss buy 98 TJ SE w/rollover damage...help?

There's a salvage lot about 3.5 hrs from me with a 98 TJ SE 5 spd. with 39K miles on it. There are pictures on the web and it doesn't look too bad. I talked to the lot owner and he said it was a "soft" rollover and it runs/drives, and he wants $5400 for it. Is this worth it? From the photos, it seems like the soft top, the windshield and windshield frame, the top of the driver's side door and the driver's side fender have damage. It seems clean other than that, with alloys no other mods. Do TJs have some kind of shutoff valve for the engine when it rolls over? If not, wouldn't the engine get severely damaged if it kept running during a rollover due to lack of oil? Is there anything I should really be looking for regarding damage, or should I avoid this Jeep altogether??

Also, is a 98 a decent year, or are the later models 'better'? I'm a newbie TJ enthusiast, and I'm looking for some advice.

Thanks!

Reply to
Phillyguy

L.W.(ßill)

(the following is speculation, not having seen the vehicle) Hard to tell... The frame and/or tub could be twisted. Is it a four or six cyl.? Could be worth 10-15 grand (not wrecked). You could put up to 5 grand in it to restore to original. I don't know of any shut-off for rolled Jeep. Motor most likely OK. Not much difference between years 97-03... pretty much the same.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

This sounds like too much money. From what you describe it could have frame and other damage. I'd only consider it if you were going to do a strictly off road build up and didn't mind tossing a lot of the damaged parts. Also, you'll be required to disclose it's salvaged to the subsequent owner.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Well, I think it's WAY too much to pay for a damaged Jeep. It's a 1998 4cyl.

My father is buying a 1997 TJ Wrangler SE 4cyl auto hardtop for $4,400. Body is in great shape. No A/C. Interior is in great shape (no carpets though). High miles at 100K though. Runs and drives great. Wheels were upgraded to the styled steel wheels. Hard Top has never been removed. Owner is having a plow put on (included in the price), so my father can plow his small driveway. Here's a Jeep that needs no work.

And your salvage lot wants $5400 for a damaged 98 TJ SE 4cyl? I think it's too much. Figure $350 for a new soft top (if the frame is still good), $400 for a new windshield frame, glass should be covered by your insurance, $1200 for a new door (sounds like it is a full door), and $240 for a new fender. These prices are assuming you don't want them painted or installed.

I say look around, you can probably find a good used 1998 TJ for $6000 that's not damaged. from

Product Name: Wrangler® Steel Windshield Frame, TJ, 1997-03 Product Number: 55174607 Price: $399.95

Product Name: Bestop Replace-a-Top? for Full Steel Doors, Spice, TJ, 1997-02 Product Number: 5112737 Price: $349.95

Product Name: Wrangler® Replacement Steel Fender, Driver Side, TJ, 1997-03 Product Number: 5003951 Price: $239.95

Reply to
Mark12211

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

To give you a point of reference; about a month and a half ago I bought a 98 TJ sport with 6 cyl, 5speed, hard top (no soft top yet), upgraded alloy wheels (9.5x 30 - 15), no AC, everything works and 54k miles for 10k even. And that was here in New England where SWB jeeps have a cult following and the snow is emminent. 4WD's of any kind sell for more in the fall up here for some reason...

Reply to
Fred W.

Phillyguy, If you're around Philly or Wilmington, I have a 98 TJ SE that I would sell you for around 7500.

72000 mi., Rocker guards, Tomken gas tank skid, modified Mopar engine skid, 2" spacer lift, 31x10.5 General Grabber ATs, Hand throttle, Olympic pack rack, CJ style mirrors, 1/2 doors, Chili Pepper red, Spice soft top, glass sliders for the winter, front rams horn tow hooks, rear shackles, f/r Detroit Truetrac LSDs w/4.56 gears, RE quick discos, cowl snorkel, 4.0L TB mod, Flexalite Wrangler electric radiator fan with override switch... A few other minor miscellaneous mods... You can see pictures below... Email me if you're interested (jim at ranlet dot com)
Reply to
TJim

Going LIST price for this in the Midwest is $8000 in good condition, sell price is somewhat less. $2600 (more like $2000) to cover repair and still have a 'salvage' title says $5400 is WAY too much money. You didn't mention the air bags, if they blew out you have a large bill hidden in there.

I looked at a similar deal on a 6cyl a couple years ago to be rebuilt as a stricty off road vehicle but to still be street legal. If you are going to add brush stripes to the body work plus change out the axles and the rest, why pay for things that you will just toss? That one was priced at $5000 for a 4 year old TJ.

If this is your first foray into Jeeps, just get a decent used one and focus on playing in the swamps or mountains, not trying to save a buck and buy a problem child.

Cheers.

Phillyguy wrote:

Reply to
Roy

It may well be rebuildable, but for the dollar, you can get a 1998 off a used car lot for less than the $5400 and rebuild costs. The 1998 is coming up on 6 years old, and the SE was only a $16000 car to begin with. Leave it in the lot for parts.

Walt Johnson

Reply to
Walt & Lynda Johnson

Thanks everyone for the replies...I have decided wholeheartedly against buying, as one put it, a "problem child". Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking...I guess I was blinded by thinking I could save a buck.

I decided to go with a 2003 Sport...I like the power of the 6, and there are some great deals I've foudn on them since there are so many '04s on the lots now. I thought I'd mine as well go new...I really don't have the time and/or patience for any headaches - and I already have enough projects right now.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Phillyguy