Lousy Lift: Need Help to Fix

Alright, here goes:

Purchased and installed a Rusty's 2" Spring Lift a short while back --- I was impressed with their development with the JeepSpeed series, and thought that the same logic would carry down to the smaller lifts -- despite not getting the firm data I wanted prior to purchase. So it's not quite there: the springs are stiff enough to remind me of lousy leaf kits in earlier Wranglers. Perhaps it's done to accommodate racks, bumpers, equipment, winches, skidplates, etc. etc. etc., but this was supposed to be a simple little lift to get me a little more clearance in the desert -- the damping and rear springs will do the job...but the fronts are not going to fly.

So I'm trying to appeal to those with more knowledge & experience in helping select a pair properly spec'd springs for length and rate....otherwise I'm popping one out and going to the local shop to measure the rate. I need to get some suspension movement -- sometimes I've got to cover 30 miles of washboard roads, sometimes it's more whooped-out. I don't expect miracles from a short wheelbase/short lift vehicle -- I just need the suspension to move.

Thanks for your advice,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Jon, what are you driving? Your best bet will probably be to go back to the stock springs in the front, with a 2" coil spring spacer, assuming you are driving an XJ, ZJ, or TJ.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

What shocks did you put in it? You need extra travel shocks for a lifted vehicle to have movement.

Mike

Mike Romain

Oops, I have a tendancy to do that:

'97 TJ. The Rusty's 2" Spring kit comes with springs and shocks, I thought I was making a better choice to maintain wheel travel in doing so, now I'm not so sure a bomb blast would bottom out the fronts together. For the record, the shocks are damped on the stiff side of things, but from off-road experience this is definitely a spring factor.

The kit gives well over 2" of lift even after a month of use -- this compared to a neighbor's '04. I understand that with bigger lifts you get more room for longer and softer springs, but I was hoping to get a softer than stock rate -- I'd suck it up and go with a pair of spacers and extended bump stops, but I have to buy springs anyhow, as the stockers sagged out.

Thanks again for your input!

Jon

Mike Roma> What shocks did you put in it? You need extra travel shocks for a

Reply to
Jon

Jon, I suppose your best bet would be to get a set of Rubicon factory springs and 1 or 2" spacers. Rubicon springs give about 1" of lift, and the ride is very nice. They are widely availible for pretty cheap from people who have upgraded thier springs.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Ok, fellas, thanks for your advice -- I'll post follow up material with specs on the springs that I install in a week or two.

J> Jon,

Reply to
Jon

I sure would drop the shocks to the 'soft' side and try it before thinking I wasted my money and time....

Hard shocks on an off road Jeep can literally rattle fillings out and in a CJ's case call strongly for the use of a kidney belt...

Mike

Mike Romain

Well, here it is: I gave much thought and research to the whole shebang, and I realized that I was in foreign territory with a light

4x4 --- a far cry from the heavy trucks and motorcycles that I pull my experience from.

So after a few phone calls and a pile of searches, I found that the Rusty's 2" lift springs are 150 lb/in (front), and that the highly reviewed and recommended OME's come in at 140 lb/in -- not enough of a difference to affect the ride I'm looking for. Mike deserves credit for making me look more carefully at the problem before rushing out to buy the softest rate springs I could find. A quick test run with the shocks on the soft setting (read:out) confirmed his suspicions.

So for what the springs need to do, the rates from Rusty's are fine; his shocks are damped far too stiffly to allow easy travel, so a quality set of adjustable shocks is the order of the day.

Thanks again for everybody's viewpoints.

J> I sure would drop the shocks to the 'soft' side and try it before

Reply to
Jon

Jon,

Let us know how you like the set you get.

Carl

Reply to
Carl