Low idle stall 90 XJ

My 90 XJ 148K has a low idle stall problem. I replaced the EGR valve yesterday and drove it for about an hour with lots of stops without a stall. It died on my girlfriend at 2 stops this morning (it was warmed up). It runs good other than the stall problem. Fuel pump, filter, CPS, O2 sensor, TPS are all less than a year old. Any ideas?

Reply to
JRK58

The first step with idle level problems is to clean the throttle body and idle control valve. With that kind of mileage, it could be gummed up. Just in case you don't know this, you should be replacing spark plugs and other ignition components from time to time too.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

I would be cleaning the plugs and sockets on the throttle body with a spray contact cleaner. WD40 will work in a pinch, but the electronic stuff is best. Lots of times that is all the problem. Changing things like the TPS only cleans 'half' the trouble areas. Out TPS went 'bad' 5 or 6 years ago and the clean has kept it working.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

automatic or stck shift?

Reply to
digitalmaster

It's an AT. I cleaned the throttle body and idle air control valve today, it was very gunked up, I'm not sure if I should be able to move it in and out by hand but I can't. Idle still drops to 400-500 RPM about half the time and stalled once. I ordered a new idle air control valve, will be here monday. It will stall in neutral so I don't think it's the TC.

Thanks, J Kennedy

Reply to
JRK58

Update.....Problem was a faulty idle air control valve.

Take Care....J Kennedy

Reply to
JRK58