LT1 Wrangler For Sale in Arizona (repost)

No one interested? Wow, I've done so much of the hard work too! Again, if you are interested (or curious), let me know:

Guys, I can't believe I"m doing this, but I"m actually trying to sell my baby. I've had this thing for more than ten years, some of you know it

as the blind spot. The list of parts/mods and upgrades is a mile long.

Let's just say it has well over 40 grand into it not including time and labor. Here are the majors:

1990 Body (but not much left on it is made by jeep!) 1996 LT1 Corvette Engine (about 15k miles on it) TH-350 Transmission (I was about to change over to a 700r4. I have a 700r4 for core that goes with the jeep) Dana 300 Case (could use a rebuild at some point) Warn Coil Kit Custom Fabricated by Tri-County Gear in California for strength and travel (about 7 inches of lift by itself) (I have extra parts for it as well) 2 inch body lift Custom Dana 60 Rear with ARB Locker Custom Dana 44 rebuilt front with Power Lock Custom Shafts with CV's front and rear (Tom Wood) Outlaw II wheels in 6 on 5/5 bolt pattern (chevy or cherokee) 35 inch mud kings (needs new tires) Custom Roll Cage (newer wrangler style) Ramsey 6000 lb winch Complete custom cooling system fabricated to fit all stock corvette cooling parts Tub is compeletely covered inside with Line X Tub is completely covered bottom with Durabak Warn skid plate is durabak'ed red. Custom Exhaust (resonator, cats, custom magna flow muffler) Custom 24 Gallon Gas Tank with 16 guage diamond plate skid plate Custom Carpet Custom Dash with new Tan parts, carbon fiber inlays VDO Millenium (impossible to get) gauges custom fabbed in stock positions Fabbed tire carrier to carry large tire in stock position Best Top Thermal Seats (front) with headrests Best Top Custom Fold and Tumble Rear Thor Sound Wedges Rear Front Boston Acoustics Kenwood Detachable Face Deck B&M Megashifter California Top Sport Top BestTop Center Console (with 12 volt hookups) Custom Chrome Oil Pan with Slam Guard Chrome Plate on it (looks really cool)

Other 'intangibles' Stock Corvette compressor included (ready for AC unit) K&N Filters All parts for emissions (even in California) installed Spare tire cover Grant steering wheel Upgraded the heater pump to the bigger Chevy heater (makes it hot!) Have Half doors with the really expensive Fiberglass upper halves Roll bar is line x'ed also and covered with besttop padding Has the nice velcro handles on it. TJ Fender flares custom fabbed. Brand new side mirrors (these babys are priceless ;) )

Here is all I was going to change in the Jeep to make it 100%: It could use new wheels and tires (the mud kings are getting old and the wheels could use a bit more offset (for brake clearance)) I wanted a bit better mileage and highway drivability, so I was going to put a 700r4 in there (the current th-350 is on the fritz). I do have a 700R4 core ready for this to either rebuild or trade in. It needs a paint job (I wanted to wait until it was 100% done to do

the body and paint work). It's currently white (can you say paint me?).

Other than that, this thing is prime. With my insurance company, I actually insure it for 35K, maybe I should set it on fire! Ha ha. I thought about trading it in, but I would rather keep it in the Jeep community for someone who really needs it!

Price is negotiable, but you all know what it's worth. If you are interested, or you know anyone that might be, tell them to email me here ( snipped-for-privacy@forion.com) or call me at 480-797-7595.

Thanks everyone! Scott Tate (jeep's in gilbert by the way (southeast phoenix))

Reply to
blndspt

If I had it I'd pull the LT1 and put it in a Corvette, a mid engine kit car, or a boat.

Reply to
calcerise

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Just remember that for quite a while engines have been rated in terms of net HP, not flywheel like they were back in the 50s and 60s. There is quite a difference in the ratings. I believe they changed the ratings around 1972. Also any street engine is fine with a 2 bolt block. there are a lot of engines out there that never had 4 bolt caps, and some can't even be converted, yet they seem to live under some very severe high horsepower conditions. It is also a known fact that the best stock small block Chevy block to use for racing is one that originally had 2 bolt mains, and then convert it to 4 bolt mains with the splayed outer bolts. I've seen several small and big block Chevy engines making some serious power, and still having the 2 bolt main caps without a problem.

Chris

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, you crack me up. Where in my post did I say that the horsepower ratings from back in the 50s and 60s were higher than actual? All I said was that comparing the ratings of the engines in the 50 and 60s is a different rating system than what they use today. In fact, most of the automakers were boasting numbers less than the actual horsepower of the engines back then, both for insurance reasons and because of the class system for the Stock and Super Stock drag racing classes. The 426 Hemi, Boss 429 and the W30 Olds 455 were perfect examples of this.

And of course, you had to pull something totally out of the blue about the Ford side oiler. I can see how anyone would have read that in to what I said. Sheesh.

Chris

A few of the limited production engines did have the horsepower, but they were job-shop-built, wild cam, high compression engines that needed very high octane fuel and in most cases were not capable of 29" Hg manifold pressure operation for more than 2 to 10 hours (even if oil and coolant temps were magically controlled) before extremely loud noises occurred and smoke, flames and oil went everywhere.

The much storied 426 Hemi ("Race Hemi", "late Hemi", whatever...) was such an engine. It excelled at NASCAR in its day, thereafter in nitro burning dragsters with 100% power TBO of something like seven seconds. But you know why they were never used in marine applications? The valvetrain was good for a hundred hours, maybe, even at the 350-400 hp mark, and at 500 hp the lower end had maybe fifteen good hours. Monteverdi built a sports car called a Hai, with the Hemi, and few were built-they _could not_ make the Hemi live on the Autobahn for more than maybe ten thousand miles. Jensen would have nothing whatever to do with the Hemi.

The "side oiler" Ford 427 is another deal. External oil pipes went out with the OX-5 and Isadora Duncan era Bugattis-it was a kluge, a patch to save Ford the trouble of making new patterns and core boxes to do it right.

There were Americans who "did it right" and who the Europeans learned from-names like MIller, Goossen, Meyer-Drake, Rentschler, Allison come to mind-but they had nothing to do with mass production poop out of Detroit. Let's call a spade a spade here.

Reply to
calcerise

Bill,

The manufacturers lie about horsepower and torque ratings now just like they did 'back in the day' as my daughters say, with the difference being they used to claim significantly less power than the engines were actually producing.

For example somewhere around 1970 one of the car magazines went around to the Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge dealers and took standard 'demonstrators' for a test ride to their local speed shop.

The Hemi engines rated at 425 hp by Chrysler all put out 500+ horsepower on the dynos and the engines had not even been broken in.

Those weren't HP versions, they were the engines that our parents (the current generations grand and great grand parents) had in their Imperials and Furies, and Coronets...

And before we forget you could go to your local dealer and buy a NHRA "Super Stock" Dodge or W30 Oldsmobile

Reply to
Billy Ray

I should have read further in the thread. yes, around '72 or '73 they changes the ratings from power at the flywheel to power at the axle. The difference was about -20% for loss. There was additional loss because the manufacturers chose to go the cheapest route to meet emissions rather than the best way. That gave us 2 decades of cars that were underpowered and could not be made to run correctly.

Reply to
Billy Ray

.The 'big" V-8 in marine use was Chrysler's 440. There are still a lot of them around in the older wood boats.

As for professional racing they used WWII era Allison's designed for aircraft, V-12 Packards, or Rolls-Royce.

Reply to
Billy Ray

The older heavy as hell Chrysler 392 went into a lot of boats, gensets, irrigation pumps and start carts. All of which have been bought up and made into drag and schlock rod engines today. They were reliable but they were 250-300 hp engines tops and they weighed close to a thousand pounds.

The 440 was a great engine. There are still a lot of them in boats but older working boats made with them are usually repowered with diesel, have been for years.

The Unlimited hydro idiots bought Allison 1710s by the trainload, used them up like popcorn and scrapped them. When the old castings and cranks got scarce they changed the rules and are now all running surplus runout Lycoming turboshafts, rather than paying to build new Allison stuff. The V12 Packard you are talking of is either the PT boat engine, which has never been used in marine racing to my knowledge, or the V-1650-9A Packard license built RR Merlin, of which a few were, but the two stage two speed blower was a disadvantage.

Reply to
calcerise

Tee hee hee hee hee!

Everyone now knows that the Big Three all had spies in the car magazines and many of the "demonstrators" were tweaked ringers. If the majority of standard production cars had these engines they wouldnt have been able to run on standard pump gas and would had a hell of a lot of warranty claims on transmissions, axles and driveshafts.

Reply to
calcerise

These were not the cars provided by the manufacturers, they were picked up at the local dealer just the same as the car you would have test drove.

I recall the article mentioning that because some of the manufacturers would, as you describe, provide cars that were 'doctored' with non standard equipment or mislabeled engines (i.e. a Nova with 305 stickers on the air cleaner that was obviously a ss350).

When Chrysler Corp extended their warranty to 5 years they did have a lot of claims but I don't think that ... reliability... was any different than any other car of the era. In the mid-later 70's all cars were garbage and that really did not improve till the later 80's when the US manufacturers finally went to multi-port fuel injection.

My '86 T-Bird with throttle body injection had the same engine but with 50% less power compared with my elder daughter's MPI '88 Cougar.

As bad as reliability was in American cars if you had a foreign car it was a joke (or you were a hippie and drove a VW) Being 'Made in America" used to mean it was a quality product and "Made in Japan's meant it was junk.

Things changed as the Asians learned quickly that Americans wanted larger and more powerful cars that were dependable. Detroit met that challenge by engineering and designing ugly cars that could not me made to run right unless you broke off the limiter caps, drilled out the lead plug, adjusted the carburetor to run on the cra**y gas they were now selling, and the replaced the limiter cap with one available at any auto parts store so it would pass the visual portion of the emissions test.

This was, of course, illegal but a 'real mechanic' (as opposed to a technician) could get cars to run but not stay within the letter of the law.

We can check with Bill as to the particulars as it was in this era that he ran the Chevron Garage.

PS

Who remembers the Honda 600?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

How many runs does "your" dragster make on one crankshaft?

Reply to
calcerise

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yes, but do they throw the crank away after one run, or does it go a season? There is a number here. Same with blocks, pistons, con rods, heads, you name it. At any rate, it's safe to say a crank probably does not go more than a few miles-including staging, the run, and slowdown-in its life.

Reply to
calcerise

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Drag racing is a hell of a lot of work for four or five seconds of action. I prefer road racing, especially 12 or 24 hour endurance racing, where they are out there a long time.

Reply to
calcerise

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III