lugnuts - covers breaking

Have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado - Our son now has it up in Wisc.... for kayaking... below is email discussion...

----

A friend had a flat tire, and could not get the lugnuts off - tire iron was too big, and would not fit them...

SO - here's an observation. I think I saw on our Jeep that a couple of the lugnuts had lost their silver covers... which should be solid on them. The tire iron is under the passenger side flip seat.

You might check this out and see if the tire iron will fit and turn both the normally covered silver lugnut, and the broken ones with the raw lugnuts showing.

If not, I would suggest buying some replacements, - I also seem to recall the front and rear are actually different sizes, depths, or something...

Just thought I would pass this along to fix now, in case you ever had a flat and would not be able to get the lugnuts removed due to mismatch between tire iron vs lugnut diameter.

see ya - Dad -

--------- Seems really stupid to have a nut with a cover that have two different sizes, and breaks off... I'll take a look at it. Probably will just get an 18mm lug wrench, throw it in the back, and be done. Sounds like they just break off after awhile.

ps56k

I am thinking of just getting a handful for replacements when they = break.

are they all the same sizes ? front vs rear vs ??

Reply to
ps56k

Reply to
ps56k

I've had a couple twisted off by idiots with an impact wrench. Just use the next smaller metric 6point socket and call them "anti theft" :)

Reply to
DougW

Toss em ... they're nothing but trouble to the car owner or tire shop but cheap to purchase by the car manufacturer

Instead go down to your local parts store and get regular chrome plated acorn style nuts and use them.

To be sure they are chrome plated and not the chrome shell over a regular nut look for a parting line between the chrome side and the cone (wheel side) cone of the nut.

A chrome plated nut won't have a visible joint between the side of the nut and the cone shaped area.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

these were all orig equip on the 2001 Grand Cherokee - whatever they were/are -

I'll have to take a look and see if they are... "regular chrome plated acorn style nuts"

Here's what I quickly grabbed from eBay to have some replacements....

ps56k

However, if you want to keep it looking all original then you made a good choice.

As for me, I just don't want the wheels to fall off. :(

Reply to
Budd Cochran