Malfunction Indicator Light

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L w/ manual transmission and for the second time since I purchased it new the Malfunction Indicator Light has come on.

The first time I was driving across the US and it came on but went off after driving around a few times as it suggests it could in the manual... the interesting part is 2 months later I had to get the catalytic converter replaced as it was making a rattling noise when parked with the engine on. I originally assumed that the Malfunction Indicator Light came on due to poor fuel on my long drive but??? I mention this because the light just came on again after I let the gas level go almost to empty. It is also almost a year to the day it came on last time... weird. Anyways to top it off I need to get it inspected but in MA with this light on it will fail. I have driven it around several

times and turned it ON/OFF several more times but the light refuses to go

out.

Does anyone know of anything I can do myself to correct the problem or do I have to shell out $80 to have the jeep dealer check it out???

Reply to
AdventureBoy

You really need to know what code is setting it off.

has some information on this. If the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ONN method doesn't work for you, some of the auto parts stars (like AutoZone) will either loan or rent a code scanner.

Reply to
Bruce Yelen