Malfunction Indicator Light

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo, with 59,900 miles. This morning while starting the car, it was a little rough idling and I noticed the malfunction indicator light stayed on. I used my other car to get to work today. I checked the gas cap, it seems tight. What could this be?

Thanks

Reply to
Firebird

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm getting P0305...I'll look it up. Thanks

Reply to
Firebird

Misfire Detected in Cylinder #5.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Your '01 is OBD II compliant, this means you can get a code reader and find out for your self what made the MIL light come on.

You can buy OBD II Code Readers for anywhere from about $60 to about $175. The cheaper units have limited capability, the more expensive units have more features and abilities. My casual observation is that the units that cost about $100 are the best value. These units offer the useful features that the lesser costing units do not have, but they leave out features that you probably won't use anyway.

Some auto parts stores will let you use a reader for free, the assumption is that you will learn the Automatic Framis Sensor has failed, and the store wants you to buy the AFS from them. They want you to buy the special wrench to put it in, too.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If this engine is one where the cylinders all get their own coil, then I suspect the coil on the #5 cylinder is going out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

While that is true, the code reader translates the codes and is easier to use. There is no requirement to hold your tongue just right to get something to blink, and annotate the sequence of blinks correctly. And, the reader is free to use in lots of places.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland