Manual locking hubs?

Hi,

Did Jeeps (CJ or YJ) ever have manually locking hubs or was that just a Ford thing? Also, what year and / or models do not have the shift-on-the-fly four wheel drive where you have to stop the vehicle to engage it? I don't see that as a huge issue, but I was just curious....

Thanks, Dan Hoskin

Reply to
Dan Hoskin

They stopped the manual hubs with the CJ's in 86. YJ's have a vacuum slidelock on the axle to latch the front wheels in. TJ's are just on all the time I believe.

It would have to be really old not to have shift on the fly into 4 high if that even existed....

All the ones I have heard of are shift on the fly into 4H at any legal speed. You need to be just crawling to shift into 4 low.

Mike

Mike Romain

CJs have them. YJs have vacuum operated hubs that some people convert to manual hubs. All Jeep models can shift into 4WD if the hubs are locked, OR if they have vacuum assisted locking mechanisms. I leave my CJ's hubs locked pretty much all of the time, and I can shift into 4WD anytime I want to.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You believe correctly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Is there any reason not to leave the hubs locked al the time?

DH

Reply to
Dan Hoskin
3-4 mpg and less wear on parts....

Mike

Mike Romain

None that I can think of. The front axle will cause some loss of fuel mileage, and there is a camp that says the gears in the front diff will wear out sooner if the hubs are locked. These two reasons are good enough to keep the hubs unlocked for most of your daily driving, but if you specifically plan of going offroading in 4WD, lock the hubs at home, or lock the hubs at the gas station when you fill up, and take off.

PS Keep in mind that models before the CJ did not have locking hubs, and the TJ hasn't got locking hubs. These models had/have the hubs locked constantly, just like what you get in the CJ when you manually lock the hubs.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

You know it is likely a bit less than that come to think of it. When I lock the hubs it is always bad weather so my driving style is usually different or more uneven because of wind which could account for a mpg ot 2, but it is always less on mine with locked hubs.

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain