Manual Transmission Problem

My 94 wrangler manual Trans does not engage 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th or reverse. Only 4th. I can move the stick around with out the clutch pressed and nothing no grinding nothing. It was on the highway coming off the ramp. At the stop light nothing would engage or grind? It is like and empty space? The Trans has almost 130K Last time it was serviced it was 50 K old. I don't think it would be the clutch since it works fine for 4th gear? Any one have any ideas?

If it is toasted is better to buy the same one new or get it rebuilt or get a different kind with better gearing. I am running 33" with a 4 cycl engine.

Reply to
barrios35

Sounds like you have a bad trans. What happens if you turn off the engine, put it in first gear, and let the clutch out? Putting the Jeep in 4lo, can you start and stop in 4th gear?

You can try changing the oil, but I don't think it will do you much good. I have heard of people swapping the ax5 (your trans) for the ax15 (6cyl trans) but it is a rather large undertaking involving a lot of junkyard hunting and custom fabbing. You can probably get a decent ax5 fairly cheap. Be sure you replace the clutch while you're in there. I'm pretty sure the 94 has the external slave, but if it doesn't replace it while you're at it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

poke

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks I will take a look at it this weekend and get back to you guys.. I appreaciate the help...

Reply to
barrios35

Ok I took it apart. The bushing is ok. While I shift I can hear a whine but pretty faint. Almost like it is just spinning. I shifted with a screw driver and same thing. No gears except 4th. I am assuming I need a trans rebuilt now. Any ideas on where to start? Or alternatives instead of rebuilding?

position:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.billhughes.com/>

Reply to
barrios35

position:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.billhughes.com/>

Ok I took it apart. The bushing is ok. While I shift I can hear a whine but pretty faint. Almost like it is just spinning. I shifted with a screw driver and same thing. No gears except 4th. I am assuming I need a trans rebuilt now. Any ideas on where to start? Or alternatives instead of rebuilding?

Reply to
barrios35

position:

> God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0> > mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.billhughes.com/>

Maybe a rebuilding kit I can buy?

Reply to
barrios35

position:

> > God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0> > > mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.billhughes.com/>

Any help.. I want to know what kit I can buy to rebuild if there is such a thing?

Reply to
barrios35

Usually if a manual transmission is misbehaving, there is something broken that would not be covered in any "rebuilding kit". Your not being able to shift problem is probably due to a bent shift rod or fork, and you will have to disassemble the transmission to find out what the problem is. Then you go through the parts book (or microfiche, or computer) and figure out each part that needs replaced. There are sometimes gasket kits, or "small parts kits", but these hardly qualify as a "rebuild kit". When you get it apart, it is a good idea to replace the bearings and synchros too. There are special tools for taking this transmission apart and putting it together, as well as bearing and synchro clearances that you need to pay attention to.

Saludos,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton