Manual Transmission Question:

My 94 Wrangler (2.5L, 4-cyl, approx. 140,000 miles) has developed a problem with the manual transmission: It is making a loud rattle-y, clattery noise in 5th gear. Fortunately, 1st through 4th, and reverse are still OK -- so far.

My big question is whether there is any chance that this could be due to something external or am I definitely going to have to take down the tranny???

Other questions: Should I plan on routinely replacing the clutch and the rear main bearing oil seal at the same time, or should I just leave them alone if they look OK?

Also: Am I going to be able to find internal transmission parts at a normal auto parts house like NAPA or AutoZone, or will I have to go to the dealer ...... or should I just send out the entire tranny to some kind of specialty shop? (I have overhauled transmissions myself before

-- but not recently. The last time was about 35 years ago, and in those days the Chiltons or Haynes books used to include detailed instructions, but I don't think they do anymore.)

TIA, john w. (jwallacq AT hotmail DOT com)

Reply to
jwallacq