Maybe parting out a CJ, how much to ask for.....

Hello everyone.. Since taking my 83 CJ off the road about a year ago I have been thinking about what to do.. I took it off the road because or transmission problems... Eventually had the trans rebuilt but knowing it would need other work soon was looking for something else as a daily driver - found something and haven't reregistered the Jeep, knowing without doing some work wouldnt use it anywhere near as much as the new car.. I have thought about it a lot, and would probably spend as much getting this one back to a safe stock condition.. Frame is rusted out in the back (last foot of rt side) and the floors in the back are rusting out pretty quick.. I figured my two options, new frame and tub or picking up something newer and starting over... Since mine is basically stock it's not like I'm going to lose a lot of work... I was looking at prices for 94/95's the other night and it got me thinking... I probably wouldn't get much selling it whole, because it does need quite a bit of work, but I could part it out.... How much can I expect to get for the engine (4.2, was rebuilt in 96 or 97, has GM HEI ignition, AC compressor set up for onboard air, Weber carb) transmission (T5, just rebuilt/new parts) transfer case.. Also have a D44 rear with Lockright that only saw some street driving. (Too much school & work!)

Between that and some other things I have that could go I should be able to cut my initial expense down quite a bit..Maybe enough to give me something to work on this summer!

Oh yeah.. If/when I pick up something newer, probably a 94-95, chances are I will be pulling the engine/trans out of it and selling those too... (Probably dropping in a 350 a friend has in storage.) I know that the mileage is a factor, but what can I expect to get for an "average" engine and trans from that year? Also probably the 6cyl..

Thanks - Greg

Reply to
Greg Masem