MC2100 Swap

I have a '88 YJ and I just did the MC2100 carburetor swap. When I pulle the original air cleaner off there were 2 large hoses that go to the "Pulse Air System" and I am wondering what to do with them? Do I plug them? Do I put a filter on them? People who have done this, what have you done?

Reply to
rjmax

I put a Weber carb on my 87YJ. Weber recommends drilling holes in the air cleaner box and plumbing them in there. They say those lines need filtered air.

Those lines inject air into the exhaust system for the catalytic converter to function. What you do with them depends on the pollution/smog requirements of your locality. Where are you?

Reply to
Charlie Dellacona

I am in Utah and yes we do have smog requirements. So, I will either plumb them into my air cleaner or I will put a separate air filter on them.

Reply to
rjmax

You can hook them up into an air cleaner for the 'visual' part of the emissions, but they will not function. I would do this so it looks as stock as possible.

Once you removed the carb, you put the computer into 'limp home' mode which shuts down all the sensors and clamps down on the timing advance.

I recommend you do what is known as the 'Nutter' bypass which just hooks the ignition module directly to the distributor so you now can set the timing and have the advance work properly. It also gives a sweet 25% seat of the pants power boost. I use 2 new wires for the bypass and tuck them into the loom rather than mess with he stock wiring. The YJ has different colors than the CJ the Nutter was written for. Here is a link on it:

Mike

rjmax wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain