<Mike Romain> seat belts in fiberglass body

How did you attach your seatbelts to your fiberglass tub? I just swapped my rollbar to a newer style where I can use shoulder belts, but I was told that the retractor had to mount to the side of the body.

Thanks again for your great help.

Reply to
aGraham

I was also thinking that, but the CJ retractor is just an inertia lock, not a deceleration lock. In other words, it locks the belt from coming out fast, no matter what angle it is on.

I bolted my retractor to/through the rear face of the floor plate for the roll bar and used a big washer on the back side of the tub. This does leave the belt with a 90 deg twist between the retractor and the shoulder loop on the bar. Every once in a while, the twist will hold the belt from retracting, but a little tug lets it loose.

I also put a 1/4" plate under my tub that picks up the roll bar bolts and the body to frame mount so me bar is tagged to the frame via the mount. The 'glass tub is flat under there so it was easy.

Mike

aGraham wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.

I used your advice about the plate underneath attached to the body mount, but I also drilled an extra hole > I was also thinking that, but the CJ retractor is just an inertia lock,

Reply to
aGraham

The way my tub fits on, the mount bolt is too far back to tag the roll bar base by 1/2" or so. I drilled or there was two more holes in the bar plate to tag the underneath plate.

I needed real long bolts. LOL! My tub is a double layer of 3/8" fiberglass with 1" of waterproof plywood sandwiched in-between.

That 'almost' was a 'gotcha' when I went to put on the hardtop. The roll bar was up too high! I got lucky, an extra strip of weather-stripping across the front holds it to the windshield frame ok. Not tight, but no leaks.

Mike

aGraham wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain