Milage on 4lt. engine

Hi there,

I bought a '95 Cherokee 4.0, the milage is rather high (250K km), but still sounds and goes pretty well. I just wanted to know what milage one can expect from these engines.

Thank you Dirk Matthee

Reply to
UCT Staff Member - dmatthee

Dirk, On my 2000 XJ 4 speed automatic I averaged, overall, about 20 mpg.

Reply to
billy ray

That's open to mean two things.....

Gas mileage wise, we get 26+ on the highway with about 18 mpg overall.

Life wise, our 88 has over 315K km on it and is still running strong only using a liter of oil between changes. Most of that goes out the air filter box. If yours spits oil into the air filter, it usually just means the back CCV tube to the valve cover is plugged with gunk. I need to clean mine again.

Mike

Mike Romain

i think he meant miles in engine life... like is it going to blow up at

300k or something

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

I bought a 95XJ back in October. It had just under 300K *miles* and the dealer said the engine had been rebuilt sometime around 40K miles ago. So hopefully you can expect another 50-150K *miles*.

Now, if you were really asking MPG and not lifetime expectancy, then I get around 14 MPG city and (ONE TIME) 19 Highway. I'm a lead foot though, and I still need to look into several mechanical factors that might be affecting my milage (tune up, lubricants, *moving the seat BACK* ).

HTH

(95 XJ Sport, 4L, Auto)

noneyabusiness

That would depend on how often the oil and filters were changed... If he is currently at 250k then take a compression check as ask if the engine had been previously rebuilt.

A recent emissions test will tell you a lot also..

Reply to
billy ray

Note his use of 'km', not miles....

Mike

Mike Romain
250,000 km's is nothing.... I have 382,000 on my XJ (Cherokee) and it still runs strong, no problems with the engine or rest of the drive train, the body on mine is shot though.

Main things to look at is the floor.. they used a nice rubber backed carpet during these years and it works great for not letting water get to the floorpan but at the same time, any moisture that gets between the carpet back and the floor will destroy the floor pan.. I had to replace the floor from the fire wall bend to just aft. of the drivers seat as well as from the curve to the front of the rear Seat on the pax side, from just inside the frame channel to 1/2 way up the tranny hump. I also replaced the floor of the cargo area from frame channel to frame channel.

I would also suggest taking a good look at the rocker panels as they have a good tendency to rust out if the vehicle has or had running boards installed.

Bill has a copy of the pics I took of the front floors, perhaps he could post a link for you.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

He is only halfway there then....

When did Canada abandon Imperial measurement and why?

Reply to
billy ray

I believe it was our bleeding heart Liberal Government we had back in the late 70's that changed things, I was to young to ever find out why, but one day in elementary school we were learning feet and miles then the next week we had to change and learn meters and kilometers.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Reply to
Earle Horton

They tried that in the mid 70's in the states.

It comes as a surprise to most that the only 'Official' unit of measurement in the US has been metric for 140 years...

That is just another example of no one caring what the government says....

Reply to
billy ray

If it's had halfway decent care then it's just about broken in, mine lasted 300,000 miles and was still running strong with no smoke and no oil use when a rod bearing started raising a fuss.

According to the Google calculator that's about 482,000 km using your funky furrin measurements

Jeff DeWitt

UCT Staff Member - dmatthee wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Mine's a '96 at 278,000 km, runs as new ... and passes that clean air whatever inspection with room to spare.

Reply to
bowgus