More Problems with My '89 XJ :-(

Hey all!

I am having a couple of problems with my 89 Cherokee and I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to help me track down and repair these problems. Any ideas would be very much appreciated, as always!

Problem #1: When I first start the vehicle, drop her into "D" and start to drive everything seems fine but for the first few minutes it will stall out or the idle will drop really low every time I come to a stop unless I put into neutral and give it some gas. It does this for 2-3 minutes and then everything is fine. It does it at ALL temperatures, not just when cold. At any time I start the vehicle it goes through this same process all over again, even if the vehicle is only off for a couple of minutes.

Problem #2: My PDL (power door locks) quit working so the first thing I checked was the circuit breaker at the fuse box. I found the breaker was super hot (I have the blisters to prove it) so I pulled it out with a pair of pliers and left it it cool down. Once it was cool I tried the same breaker in the Power Window slot and it was working fine and not heating up. I went to put the breaker back into the slot for the PDL and it sparked like crazy and my interior lights dimmer as I tried to put it in. Just to be sure it wasnt the breaker, I purchased a new one but the same thing happened-it let out a huge spark as I tried to put it in and in the 1/4 second it made contact, it got just as hot as the old one. I pulled both of the PDL switches out and checked for continuity in the wiring as well as all grounds/connections and switches and cant seem to see anything obvious. I put the breaker back in and checked for power but there is no power going to either switch. Any ideas???

Thanks a bunch. :-)

**********
  • JEFFERY *
**********

89 Cherokee Laredo

4.0L, AT, Selectrac 4X4, A/T/C, PW, PDL
Reply to
Jeffery P.

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I am no expert but have som sugestions:

Problem #1 Check idle stepper motor unit and intake for gunk. Clean it. This is probably not the root of the problem. I think that the TPS (throtle position sensor) could be at fault. They come in single and double versions and works like a variable resistor. Controls both engine revs and gear change computer on an automatic. Does not like water and could become faulty after a good engine clean. Also there could be a problem with the vacum lines (leak somewhere) and/or the EGR valve sticking open. The latter you could do a visible check of when engine is running. Look closly at EGR to check that all 3 vacum lines are connected and nothing is broken.

Problem #2 No idea, but had a similar problem with my 1990. Circuit breaker for windows became very hot. Voltmeter showing a clear drop periodicaly. Turned out that there was a short and the breaker kept on becoming hot, cuting power, cooling down etc etc. Turned out to be a short in the wiering harness to the left rear door, inside where the seatbelt is on a roller. Wiering had com loose and ratchet mechanism on setbelt had removed insulation.

good luck :-) Odd-Inge

Reply to
Odd-Inge

For #1 I would clean all the connections on the throttle body with a spray contact cleaner. WD40 will work in a pinch. You could just be describing a dirty connection on the TPS which is fairly common on the older beasts.

Mike

"Jeffery P." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea

check this website out. Really helpful.....don't give up yet!!

Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
Will Honea

no, but he seems knowledgable...thought you might try to email him...

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com