motor stops

The motor of my 95 cherokee sometimes just stops while driving. Not at regular intervals, not at any particular speed. (yes, I've got enough gas in my tank)

Any ideas what causes this problem?

thanks, Frank.

Reply to
Frank

L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Bill, but the car actually starts without any problem after 'gone dead', but I will look into the TDC sensor.

Thanks again, Frank.

Reply to
Frank Viergever

It is the Crank Position Sender that is faulty.. had exactly the same problem with my '94 JGC.. had it fixed subsequently as travelling along the

401 across Toronto is not the best place for a vehicle to decide that it is gonna come to a halt..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Mine crapped out on the 407...

Man there are no tow trucks running on that toll highway!

Finally after about 3 hours a cop stopped by and called a tow truck for me.

Got the sucker home and changed the CPS. Backed it out of the driveway to park it in a different place and the bugger up and died again...

Turns out the ground strap from the head of the engine to the firewall was ratty and only giving an intermittent ground to the computer.

Mike

Mike Hall wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The 407 is not as bad as the 401 approaching Yonge/Don Valley Parking Lot.. all of those collectors and the av. speed 120kph in the BMW lanes.. where do you pull over, and how with no power available?.. needless to say, JGC has been well behaved since having the CPS replaced..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

I hear you, that is a real zoo there. I live just up Yonge a bit from there.

Since when do BMW's drive in the slow lane? That road is usually 120 in the slow lane and who knows in the fast lane.

I pulled into the fast lane once on the 400 when I had a Volvo GLT that would go like snot and ran her up to 200+ kph trying to keep up, but the Beamers were still crawling up my butt wanting to pass. I dropped into the traffic in the middle lane that was traveling at 160 kph, that was fast enough....

Mike

Mike Hall wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain