Muffler?

I have a 97 cherokee sport 4.0L that the muffler is starting to go. You can hear it rattling inside the muffler. Jeep wants $180.00 (30%off) for the muffler and tail pipe. Since it's a one piece unit and the pipe is made of Krell, which rusts a little and dosen't rot out, has anybody cut the tail pipe close to the muffler and bolted on a replacement muffler, using the origional tail pipe? If so what muffler did you use?

Reply to
davebz1a

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net did pass the time by typing:

krell? Never heard of it. Probably 409 stainless steel. (yes, stainless steel does rust, all depends on the type of stainless.)

I'd check local muffler shops or go with a cat-back (although the cat-back will be more expensive)

180 is still high compared to online prices
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

I agree.. It sounds like the CAT.. When I heard mine going.. It sound like the exhaust system was falling apart... And because the CAT is connected directly to the muffler (Atleast on the YJ).. It could make it sound like something is in the muffler.. Almost sounds like a bunch of marbles are in the exhaust system..

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

I have a noise coming from my exhaust too, mostly at idle. Sounds like a metal plate vibrating in the muffler. I'm pretty confident it is the muffler though, when you look at it you can see the outer shell starting to let loose at the seams. The only thing holding together I think is the metal band wrapped around it.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo