My baby (Jeep) is running hot!

Yesterday, my '02 TJ (44K miles) ran hot for a brief period. The temp. almost ran into the red and she was lacking in power. Then all of a sudden it rapidly moved back to normal (210). My questions are (1) what kind of damage should I look for and fix? (2) what might have caused it (thermostat?)?

Many thanks for your input.

-Jeff

Reply to
Fred Garvin

Head gasket?

-Muuurgh

Reply to
Muuurgh

Low coolant level??

Reply to
fletcher

In the 4 years I have owned my Wrangler (00 TJ Sport) it has done this to me three times. All times have been after a 2+ hour highway ride. When it has happened I have always pulled over to a gas station/etc, and parked it for awhile b/c I wasn't sure what was going on. My gas guage acts up every now and then also. I'm told its the connection behind the dash, I just haven't pulled it yet to check it.

Chad

69 Mach1, 93 Notch, 00 Wrangler
Reply to
Chad

I would be changing the thermostat before it sticks and hurts something.

I blew the head gasket in mine when the t-stat stuck....

It was obvious, when I heated it up with the rad cap off, the fluid foamed up like it had dish soap in it. Tiny bubbles that 'weren't' making me happy...

Mike

Fred Garv>

Reply to
Mike Romain

a good point, but that wouldn't explain the lacking in power though.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)