my lovely 4.0L '96 grand cherokee ltd has auto changing problems

My grnd. cherokee ltd 4.0L is sometimes sluggish at changing gear. It will do so reluctantly when I attempt to accelerate quickly and often does so with a shudder! I also get a disturbing noise when cornering very slowly on tight bends. Please help! Ceri In cloudy Wales, UK

Reply to
eddie

The first thing to check with any auto transmission shift problem is the fluid. Follow the directions in the owner's manual. Usually they say warm engine, transmission in park, but I have seen different ones. Is the fluid level correct? Is it light red or brown color, free of a burnt smell? Is it milky (this is bad)? Do you know the last time it was changed?

For the "disturbing noise" on cornering, this is probably a front universal joint. It should go to a shop for inspection, preferably where they know Jeeps.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton