Mystery switch connected to NSS

I'm about to replace my neutral safety switch. After determining which plug was the right one to disconnect, I noticed a pair of wires spliced into the NSS plug running into the passenger compartment. These wires were connected to a switch hidden under the dash. I've only done some casual testing, and haven't noticed any difference based on switch position (2 pole, single throw).

Anyone have ANY idea why someone would have attached a switch to the NSS wiring? (I have not yet determined WHICH wires the attach to...)

TIA

95 XJ Sport, 4.0L, Auto, 4WD, 4.5" RC lift ...
Reply to
dogmeat

Well, yeah, as a home-made "security" system (car won't start unless the switch hidden under the dash is flipped the right way).

Reply to
St. John Smythe

That could be either a kill switch or maybe a reverse light switch. The reverse light part of the circuit is shaky too.

Those switches can be adjusted and cleaned usually. Here is a l> I'm about to replace my neutral safety switch.

Reply to
Mike Romain

Perhaps the NSS was shaky before and a previous owner put in an "unlockout the starter" switch.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

That would be my guess.

There is one other option, mostly used in manual transmissions. And that is using the starter to walk the jeep if the engine fails to start.

Reply to
DougW

Could also be a switch that bypasses the neutral safety switch because a previous owner was too cheap to replace it or just didnt know how easy it is to clean it.

Mike Roma> That could be either a kill switch or maybe a reverse light switch. The

Reply to
Lon

Could someone have been trying to hook up a "kill" switch so the Jeep couldn't be started/stolen?

Reply to
Frank_v7.0