NAPA plug wires good to suppress radio noise?

I have a 1980 Jeep CJ-5, V-8 engine. I just use it at my vacation cabin.

I have terrible ignition noise on the am radio. I have replaced the plugs, rotor, and distributor cap. I have not replaced the plug wires.

There is a NAPA dealer in the nearby town. Does NAPA sell a basic good set of plug wires, that is effective in radio noise suppression??

I know I can call NAPA and ask, but I prefer to get input from other persons that would have first-hand knowledge about this sort of thing.

Thanks for any help !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

check main ground, radio ground and antenna ground before changing the plug wires

Reply to
Rod Gramlich

I like to buy my plug wire on the roll, and use the resistor terminal. Usually if you use the resistor plug in a vehicle with a steel firewall and hood you get little noise.

Are you sure it's ignition noise and not the alternator?

NAPA people generally don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, although there are exceptions.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

First, make sure your spark plugs have an 'R' in their model number. That means they are a resistor type spark plug that reduces radio ignition noise without reducing spark output in a significant way.

For spark plug wires, make sure to avoid ANY ignition wiring sets that brag about low resistance since that is, like on the spark plugs, needed to suppress AM radio noise. Due to how wiring and Ohm's law works, the resistance needed in ignition wiring and spark plugs to eliminate ignition noise in an AM radio does not significantly reduce the spark intensity. There is so little current flowing through ignition wiring that even the normal high-resistance in ignition wiring does not significantly reduce the voltage. And don't worry, that extra resistance is PURPOSELY added to the wiring... it costs more to make it that way than it would with lower resistance wiring.

So go with standard carbon-impregnated ignition wiring sets and avoid at all costs any so-called "performance" ignition wiring set that talks about its lower resistance even if it also says it has some lame "spiral-wrap" technology to reduce noise.

Using standard resistance-type spark plugs and ignition wiring should take care of your ignition noise in your AM radio.

Jerry

James Nipper wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I have always had excellent AM radio performance with solid metal core wire with resistor plugs and the proper coil resistor value. What resistance does is lowers the Q of the tuned circuit formed by the plug, wire, and cap, which is a tuned LC circuit at _some_ frequency.

This makes the circuit lossier for RF "floating around".

You will be interested to know the late Dave Blanton of Javelin Aircraft advocated straight metal plug wire for his Javelin Ford conversions , as in his 175 Skylark testbed. The ADF worked fine for listening to Royals and Broncos games just fine. So did the VHF AM nav and com radios.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Thanks for these very nice replies. How would one tell if the noise is the ignition, or the alternator???

It does vary of course with engine speed.

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Use a portable transistor radio with a ferrite loopstick antenna as a direction finder to find the noise, if a thorough ground check and retightening has no effect. You can of course disconnect the battery, then unhook the alternator and restart the engine on battery power or disconnect the belt to see if that does it.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Ever hear a motorboat in the TV or radio? That is spark noise. Like a bzzzt noise. Alternator noise is a whine.

Mike

James Nipper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
FrankW

Good replies on making distinction between alternator whine and ignition noise. This is definitely ignition noise.

I will follow up on the points suggested.

Thanks everyone !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

I've never seen ferrite lipstick, what's it look like?

Reply to
J Strickland

And, how does it make the radio work better?

Reply to
J Strickland

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

You missed another post where I asked what ferrite lipstick looks like ...

Nevermind, it's not funny anyhow.

Reply to
J Strickland

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Great, now my friends are hiding me in the closet.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland