Need advice on 96 Grand Cherokee Performance exhaust

I want to purchase an aftermarket exhaust for my 96 GC Jeep.

A little better mileage would be nice.

The choices are:

Borla Magnaflow Gibson

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Joe's Newsgroup

A little better mileage would be nice.

The choices are:

Borla Magnaflow Gibson

Any opinions would be appreciated.

An awful lot depends on your location and the strictness of smog testing.

Where I live there is no emissions testing so you can do what you can afford / want ... which means a lot of cats have disappeared and the SPCA doesn't even care .

I went with a good old Turbo muffler and full length 2 1/4" exhaust on my 88 Cherokee, no cat, but I'm still only getting about 18 mpg.

OTOH, a few ricer types appear to be jealous of the tone, which is smoother and more mellow than a "fart can".

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

Can't comment on performance but I put a stainless Gibson on my '97 and it fit perfectly. Word of advice though--if you go with stainless, be sure to put lots of antiseize on the clamps, otherwise they'll seize up and break before they're tight enough to seal the joints. Sound is a little louder than stock, not much.

Another word of advice--check the entire exhaust with a good light and makes sure you fix anything that needs fixing while you're got it apart--I missed a badly rusted flange on the front pipe.

Reply to
J. Clarke