Need advice re. buying a used XJ

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a used Jeep Cherokee and needed some advice. I'm leaning towards a 1997 or later model (airbags and the improved console would be nice). I needed some advice:

  1. I'm primarily concerned about reliability. It won't be a daily driver but I'd hate to be stranded out in the boonies on a weekend or on a long road trip. Are there any model years I should avoid? I plan on running a Carfax report, but is there anything else I should consider beyond that?

  1. Would a Jeep Cherokee with 140,000 miles on it be a breakdown waiting to happen? How reliable has the I-6 been in your experience (with average maintenance!).

  2. Does anyone know a reliable source for a used Jeep Cherokee in the NJ/NY area? If you know of someone that has one for sale, feel free to point them my way.

Thanks!

Mak My email address is mpitke at hotmail dot com

Reply to
mpitke

I haven't had any driveability concerns with mine, BIGGEST thing to check and make sure of is floor rust, I have replaced 90% of the floor in mine. Rocker panels rust out fast if the J**P has/had running boards. (Bill has a link to my floor repair pics) Rustcheck spray or krown will help prevent and slow down on the rust.

Thats only a mere 225,308.16 kilometers, thats nothing.. my 93 XJ has

376,000 plus on it and no problems with the engine or drive train. Aside from the obvious I have changed the altenator, rad (twice), water pump and ps hoses, had the tranny lines break once. The 6 cyl. is almost bullet proof, if you take care of it (oil changes somewhere close to the 3000 km-5000km's range) it will last a long time.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

The 4.0L I6 is an old and reliable design. Some get over 300K miles. Look for a seller with complete service records so you can see that it has been maintained and so you know when to expect to replace other parts like belts, bushings, joints, seals, alternator, harmonic balancer, etc.

Cherokee has a choice of transfer cases. 'Command-trac' has 2WD, 4LO, &

4HI (offroad or snow only). 'Selec-trac' has the same plus a 'full time' AWD mode that can be run on dry pavement.

The optional 'Up Country' package has skid plates, tow hooks, and better (taller) springs.

Avoid the Dana 35 rear end. Look for the Chrysler 8.25. Any model with ABS will have the Dana 35. The 8.25 got larger, stronger internal axles beginning in 1997.

Steve

mpitke wrote:

Reply to
Steve

-snip-

I don't understand this - are you saying that even post 1997 all Cherokees with ABS will still have the Dana 35?

How can I tell which rear axle I have? I'm in the UK if it makes a difference, with a 1997 (facelift) Cherokee with ABS.

Reply to
Danny

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Danny,

The cover differences are subtle. The most obvious difference is that the bottom of the cast housing on the 8.25 is flat and protrudes past the cover, whereas the bottom of the 35 housing is rounded like the cover:

And yes, as far as I know, all XJs with ABS have Dana 35. On non ABS, it can be the corporate 8.25 or the Dana 35. 8.25s appearing from '91-'96 have shafts that are just as weak as the Dana 35. From '97 onward, 8.25 axle shafts are significantly thicker with a higher spline count

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Bill,

It looks like you ran over a screwdriver and it punctured your differential!

Reply to
Billy Ray

Unless I am mistaken, the 8.25 cover is made out of thinner metal and has a rolled-over edge.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to