Need help - 98 TJ Fan Blower Stopped Working and ABS warning light is on

I left the TJ out of the garage last night and it got down into the single digits. DW started it for me this morning and said the blower fan made an odd sound when it came on. When I got inside the fan blower would not work at any speed and the ABS warning light is on. It was a cold drive so I need to fix this soon (not to mention it is going below zero for the remainder of the week). I checked fuses 5, 8, 9 and they are all fine. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, mc

98 TJ Sport 5sp 4.0L 98k miles
Reply to
mc

Someone sent me this notice a while back, it might be your problem.

Recall 99V117000: Instrument Panel Ground Screws Loose

The left side and right side instrument panel wiring ground attachment screws could loosen over time. If the left side screw loosens, the instrument panel gauges may not function when the headlamps are turned on. If the right side screw loosens, the defroster blower motor may not function.

Dealers will remove the ground screws, drill a new pilot hole adjacent to the original hole, and the screws will be reinstalled in the new holes.

Owner notification began May 31, 1999. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Chrysler at 1-800-992-1997. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks, I'll check the right ground screw first.

mc

Reply to
mc

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Just thought I would post a follow-up to this message. Yesterday afternoon when I went out to the Jeep to go home I turned the key to start it and watched the instrument panel go through the startup sequence. It started fine and after all the other gauges showed life the last thing to happen was the ABS light went out. I reached down and turned on the heater fan to find that it worked on all four settings. I assume the failing condition was caused by a power fault and that the computer needed a reset to clear the fault.

mc

98 TJ Sport with heat again!
Reply to
mc