Need help with wiper repair

My windshield wipers on my '88 Grand Wagon are broken and my efforts to fix them have failed thus far. The car needs inspected, but more importantly I can't drive it when they are calling for rain. Under the dash in a very tight spot there is a place where the motor linkage connects to the blade linkage. There is a pin on one arm that fits through a plastic washer that is pressed into the second arm. After placing the pin through this washer, there is a clip that pushed over the pin, (which has a nub on the end), so when the clip is pushed over this the nub keeps it from coming back off. The hole in the original metal clip over the years has worn so it won't hold in place anymore. I've been to the dealer etc and no one even shows the clip as a part for sale. I've tried to find interior trim clips to fit. The problem is that you have to really push hard on the clips to clear the nub because it doesn't go past the washer by much. That much backward pressure causes the clip not to hold for very long before it pops off. The original metal clip fit on one of the arms and slid along it's length. The hole was u-shaped and went all the way to the end of the clip, so you basically slid it down the arm and over the pin. I thought I had it licked when I decided to loop a cable tie around the pin and tighten it down as far as I could. This works for awhile, but eventually the cable tie pops off too. I hope I'm giving a picture that someone who may be able to help me can understand. I need something about the diameter of a nickel, the thickness of a dime, that I can somehow slip over a pin, and then tighten it or fasten it so it holds, but still allows the arms to freely rotate. I am hoping someone out there had the same problem and found a solution.

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

Is this the part:

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > My windshield wipers on my '88 Grand Wagon are broken and my efforts to fix
Reply to
Mike Romain

Not exactly but maybe near enough. With any luck they made all these the same size. I should call and see if they recommend this would work.

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

Called Quadratec and the guy said he can't say whether this would work on a GW. He gave me the manufacturers web site and said if I get a part # he can get it for me. Checked the website (crownautomotive.net) but no joy. Maybe I'll have to try the one for the CJ.

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

Couple of suggestions. If you had easy access or I'd say:

- just drill a hole and use a cotter pin behind the washer.

- thread it and put on a nut and some locktite

But since you don't. Tried to find one of those press-on axle caps?

picture sucks, but basically it's a little hat looking thing that has sometabs bent into the bottom that grab the shaft and hold tite. They are a majorpain to get off and will require vice grips to get installed.

Reply to
DougW

For some reason the older Grand shared some parts with the CJ if I remember right and this may be one of them. Figure AMC farmed out all the parts so they could easily overlap the wiper linkage makers.

Mike

Mark Corbelli wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain