Need Neutral Safety Switch for '94 Cherokee

1994 2wd 4.0L 6cyl Auto Cherokee 148k miles

~50% of the time, this truck does not start when turning the key. After checking the electrial system, starter and replacing the battery, the problem would not go away. On the suggestion of a friend, I tried moveing the floor shift lever slightly when trying to start it. Success !! I litterally moved the lever less than 1"

I took the truck to a transmission shop and was told I need a Neutral Safety Switch/ MPL Switch. This is a dealer only item and the installed quote is $500 !!!!

Anyone have a link to a cheaper part supplier or a company that sells a rebuilt switch ?

The shop told me that I have a Toyota built transmission also refered to as a AWF transmission if that helps.

Thanks in advance !!

Ross

Reply to
rl1856

I once owned a car, a '65 Mustang, that required me to wiggle the shifter more towards P on occasion. The car started fine if I pushed the shifter further forward, and always started in N. The trouble was not the switch, it was the adjustment of the switch. I lived with a maladjusted switch for the better part of 6 years. No big deal.

If it is a big deal to you, try adjusting the switch first. The switch is no big deal, you should be able to get it from the auto parts store down on the corner.

According to

that part should cost about $11.69.

Take a look,

After looking at the diagram of the part, it appears that it might not have any adjustment available. If this is true, then it may indeed require replacement, but you can get the part for much less than the $500 you were quoted.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Try this

or you could alwaysby-pass the switch, I by-passed mine (93 XJ) temporarily as I would preferrebuilding the switch prior to removing the old switch. My Cherokee has an AW4 transmission and current retail price of the switch at the stealer is about $350 Canadian (which equals about $250 US)

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I just found another Neutral Safety Switch that costs $259. If you luck is anythinglike mine, this is the switch you will need because you never get away with the less expensive parts when there are parts that do the same job costing 20 times more ...

Back to my Mustang ... If this was my car, I would either live the rest of my life knowiing that I might need to wiggle the shifter once in a while, or I would remove the switch and clean the contacts and put it back on. This really isn't a part that is prone to wearing out as much as it is prone to getting dirty to the point that it fails once in a while.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I don't know what I was thinking, here is the second link, the link for that $269 option ...

Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

They are adjustable and depend on linkage condition. If it suddenly changed, I would be looking at a worn pin somewhere first. Second I would be checking the engine and especially the tranny mounts. Third, the switch is adjustable, maybe it just came loose and needs to be turned slightly and tightened.

The switch is 'really' expensive.

And for a last resort if the switch is physically broken, 'I' would likely either jumper the wires so it would start in any gear or put the wires to a hidden toggle for an anti theft switch.

Mike

rl1856 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If the switch works I would certainly try to adjust it even if it does not seem to have any adjustment. Could be just a loose nut or bolt. It is not difficult to get into that area. I own a '94. Wilf, Canada

Reply to
Wilfrid Dugas

I think theres a recall still in effect on that. I just bought a 94 GClimited and jeep said to take it in and have it checked. They don't have a record of it on my truck so they will do it if it needs it free. Ask jeep.com cust service.

Reply to
netnews.comcast.net

Hi I'm not so good in english but I try to help witth You NSS problem To save You money look there

You need to clean NSS, not buy a new one because serviceman You saidthat? ;-)) regards Qiq.pl XJ 4.0'89

Reply to
qiq

Bypassing the switch is easy to do and I've done it in the past, however, I also had the experience of standing next to a friend when someone hurriedly started up a vehicle (not mine) which had the switch bypassed and I saw my friend's leg bent around and beneath the wide rear tire (causing severe breakage of leg bones) when the vehicle lurched in gear as soon as the engine started. That taught me the value of being cautious instead of carefree when it comes to this safety feature.

A momentary toggle switch would suffice if someone didn't wish to incur the expense of a factory-type switch. And as you state, it makes a good anti-theft device too.

Reply to
Hoodoo

Very good point. I have seen too many vehicles jump when someone goes to start them that I always stand off to the side. My shin has been hit. An old friend and current tenant of mine is just recovering from his second replacement hip. He wore out the first one. He needed the first one because he used a remote starter on his car and it fired up in gear and ran him over...

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Did you check to see if the switch /lever adjustment was correct? often just setting the position right will fix the problem. old john

Reply to
ajeeperman

On the other hand, and I shouldn't mention this but I was young and foolish at the time, I used to occasionally enjoy freaking out unsuspecting passengers in my truck when they got in it the first time. I'd put the gear selector in 'drive' without their knowledge and then I would somehow get their complete visual attention. While they were watching me out of curiosity, I'd turn the ignition key and as soon as the engine lit I'd stomp on the throttle and immediately take off without touching the gear selector. Done right, even though its wrong, it really gets their attention.

I do not recommend anyone try this themselves.

It was years later when I saw my friend's leg bent under and around an open-wheel vehicle that started in gear (accidentally, not on purpose or violently as I used to do), and if I were standing to his right instead of left, it very well could have been my leg all screwed up for a long, long time.

Reply to
Hoodoo