Need Suggestions About New Muffler and Catalytic Converter

My 1996 XJ Sport, Stock, Not Lifted, Not Used Off-Road, needs a new muffler and CC. I want a good quality stock muffler (not MagnaFlow, etc.) and a CC that will last for a while. My existing CC failed in little over a year, just past the warranty period. Do you suggest buying online from eBay etc., or buying from AutoZone or Advanced? Thanks for your suggestions!

Reply to
bw-fl

If your cat is only lasting one year, and you're not bouncing it off rocks, then something else is wrong.

A cat should last several years providing it isn't fed too much or too little.

Rich burning will cause it to plug and lean burning will cause it to melt then plug. Check your plugs for excess carbon buildup. If you have excess carbon (too much fuel) then it's likely your O2 sensor. They don't always fail completely. How old is the O2 sensor?

I just go with a good high-flow cat from the local muffler shop. Ran about $100 installed. As for the muffler, I'd stick with a good cat-back system like Gibson. My aluminized one lasted nearly ten years. Replaced it with a flowmonster (flowmaster) and It's a bit too loud for my preference. The Gibson had a nice rumble. But if you want it to stay nice and quiet then go with OEM.

Reply to
DougW