Need Wheel Offset Specs for ZJ, Wrangler, Rubicon

I just added a '97 ZJ tsi to my collection of Jeeps. (That's a Grand Cherokee to you, Bill.) ;) It's fairly well set up with 3 1/2" lift, skidplates, ARB front bumper with winch, Confer rack, etc.

Unfortunately, the previous owner installed 18" fancy chrome wheels and

285/55R18 street tires. These must go!! I'm going to run 31x10.50 tires (or the metric equivalent, depending on the wheels I wind up with).

I am looking for either: (1) stock Canyon wheels from a ZJ (15x7); (2) "take off" wheels from a late model TJ Unlimited (15x8); or (3) "take offs" from a Rubicon (16x8).

My question is backspacing. I get conflicting information about backspacing on stock ZJ "canyon" wheels, and haven't found any reliable information on the backspacing for the TJ and Rubicon rims. I've heard both 5 1/2" and 6" for the Canyons, and 4 1/2", 5" and 5 1/2" for the TJ and Rubicon rims.

Does anyone have the answers, or a link to a webpage that will help?

Thanks,

Robert Bills Orange County CA '83 CJ7, modified '97 ZJ tsi, modified '46 Bantam BT3C trailer

Reply to
Robert Bills

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill.

Where did you find the backspacing info for OEM wheels? I've been looking for Internet sites, but no luck.

Reply to
Robert Bills

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bill,

Thanks for the links. I emailed the company to ask what backspacing their "canyon" replica wheels have.

Question about your photo: I know how to read the 16x7 part, but what do the "J" and the "50.8" signify?

Reply to
Robert Bills

You will find the 16x8" Rubicon Moab wheels to be 5" and the 15x8" Ultd. Ravines to be 5.5". At any rate, BS is not an issue on any of these wheels for a ZJ. (4 1/2" BS is just plain wrong.)

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > I just added a '97 ZJ tsi to my collection of Jeeps. (That's a Grand

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The letter stands for the tire rim profile. "J" rims are most commonly found on passenger vehicles, "JJ" on 4x4s, Jaguar uses "Ks", old VWs used "P" or "B"

The number is the amount to off-set or in-set.

Reply to
billy ray

I converted the 50.8 on the wheel you photographed from what I assume to be millimeters into inches, result was "2," so I am assuming that number denotes the offset of the wheel. Also assuming the picture was of a 7" wheel, I am guessing that the backspace of that wheel would be

5". Am I doing this correctly? (Just want to know so I can make sense of the numbers on whatever wheels I am looking to buy.)
Reply to
Robert Bills

Thanks TW,

Now to the real issues.

I have a line on a set of TJ "Ravines" and also on a set of Rubicon "Moab" rims. Haven't been quoted a price on either yet, and am wondering what is fair for each style for a set of 4 used rims. The Moabs have a few scratches and probably need to be refurbished a bit. Any ideas?

As to backspacing, Keven Fell at Kevin's Jeep Parts suggests 4.5" backspacing for 31 or 32" tires on a ZJ with 3 1/2" lift. He usually knows his stuff, so I am wondering if anyone on this newsgroup has real world experience with 31x10.50R15 or 265/75R16 (32x10.50) with 5" or 5

1/2" backspacing on a ZJ with 3 1/2" lift, stock lower control arms? I have an ARB front bumper so rubbing there isn't an issue, but I am somewhat concerned with clearance between the tires/wheels and the front springs and control arms. This Jeep isn't going to run the Rubicon, but I do want to be able to handle some mild to moderate obstacles.

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Bills

Makes sense but ....

INSET/OUTSET Inset is positive offset, in which the center line of the wheel is inboard from the mounting face of the disc. Outset in negative offset, in which the center line of the wheel is located outboard from the mounting face of the disc. BACKSPACING Also called rear spacing. Distance from extreme back edge of rim, not bead seat, to the mounting pad. To measure back spacing, lay a straight edge across back edge of rim and measure down to the mounting pad. Nearly all custom wheels use this measurement method to indicate the location of the mounting pad in relation to the rim.

Reply to
billy ray

Makes sense but ....

Here are the 'official" definitions. No I did not make these up. You might ask why some measurements are inches and others on the same wheel in metric... the answer is who knows, it has always been that way.

INSET/OUTSET Inset is positive offset, in which the center line of the wheel is inboard from the mounting face of the disc. Outset in negative offset, in which the center line of the wheel is located outboard from the mounting face of the disc.

BACKSPACING Also called rear spacing. Distance from extreme back edge of rim, not bead seat, to the mounting pad. To measure back spacing, lay a straight edge across back edge of rim and measure down to the mounting pad. Nearly all custom wheels use this measurement method to indicate the location of the mounting pad in relation to the rim.

Reply to
billy ray

Hey Robert...I run a 31 10.5 on my ZJ with 4 to 5" of lift...I'm running the TJ Canyon rims...I get a touch of rubbing on the front control arms when in a full turn, nothing that concerns me... my arms are BDS adjustables....if your axles have been centered you should be fine ...

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY

I sold my 5 takeoff Moabs with like new factory tires for $1250 on Ebay. For the XJ, I purchased a set of 4 all new takeoff Ravines with the 30" tire pkg. for $400. I think you'll find the MOABs will bring more money and they have a touch less BS. I'm not a big Canyon fan, so I didn't look at those at all.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Thanks TW,

Reply to
twaldron

Hey Robert...I run a 31 10.5 on my ZJ with 4 to 5" of lift...I'm running the TJ Canyon rims...I get a touch of rubbing on the front control arms when in a full turn, nothing that concerns me... my arms are BDS adjustables....if your axles have been centered you should be fine ...

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY

Thanks guys.

Reply to
Robert Bills

You should have no problem running stock wheels with 10.5" tires. You might have some contact with the front LCA's which you can fix with a simple steering stop adjustment. Wider than that and you may have issues with contact on the rear upper spring perches.

Wifey's TJL came with 33x12.5's on stock wheels, I noticed there was no contact with the upper spring perches which suprised me, until I compared them with my TJ...previous owner had trimmed the upper perch back just enought to clearance the tires.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Less so than carving fenders.

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Mickey Mouse.

Reply to
twaldron

Not really, the spring still makes full contact, there is about 3/4"-1" of overhang that was trimmed back. Of course if you have ever actually seen a TJ with your own eyes you would already know that.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo