New brake pads and rotors - squealing.

Hey All,

About a year ago I got the famous warped rotors at 14K on my 03 TJ Sport. Even though it was out of warranty, the dealer replaced pads and rotors. Recently, to no ones' surprise, it happened again (another

14K miles later.) This time the dealer refused to fix it for free and wanted $450.

I did the research on this group (special thank you to Jerry Bradsford), got the new rotors and pads and did it myself in under 2 hours. Well, the breaks worked great, no more pulsating and stopping real well, but after about 20 miles they started producing very high-pitched squeal when applying medium brake pressure. It's just annoying.

Did I do something wrong? The rotors are Wagner Heavy Duty and pads are semi-metallic (I forget the brand already, but I can find out if it's important)Plus, I bought a torque wrench and tightened all lugnuts to 95 ft/lbs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Igor.

Reply to
Igor

There is some goop you buy that goes where the brake piston hits the pad. This stuff will stop most squeals. Some pads come with a fiber or metal backing pad that is for this too.

Mike

Igor wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I swore I thought someone said that DC upgraded from the old troubled rotors to something that was 'less' prone to warpage. I believe it was 99 and up or something...

Well, I bought a cheapy $25 tourque bar/wrech and (knock on wood) I'm at

25000km and haven't had a problem yet....YET! ;)

Reply to
SB

Bill,

Correct. Someone just went out to the garage, pulled the box from the pads out of the garbage and found a tiny plastic bag filled with dampener springs in it... :-(

BTW, brakes are Bendix. Now to figure out where these clips go (your picture helps, but is that all of them?) the little paper with instructions is pretty crappy.

Thanks for the help, I'm glad I didn't screw it up too bad :)

Reply to
Igor

Reply to
mic canic