new clutch time for the CJ

Last night I took off from an intersection quick and the engine spun fast, and the jeep moved slow. On a quiet street I could hear the metal on metal sound of a thin clutch plate. The adjustment still feels perfect, so it is new clutch time for me. Question is should I spend a little extra for a name brand CenterForce I clutch for the ~$130 plus extra parts? How about the CenterForce II for ~$200 plus extra parts? Or should I get one from a local parts store for ~$130 that include all the parts including bearings, and cheapy tool? I am have the 258 engine, T5, D300, 32" tires (soon to be

33"), and 4.10 gears in an 83 CJ7. Can I get better life expectance out of a little better clutch? Or is the basic CenterForce the same as any other over-the-counter clutch?
Reply to
Fletcher

Maybe, maybe not. I ran a CenterForce clutch once. Didn't really like the pedal feel offroad, and changed it out for a "regular" clutch last year when I had to replace the throwout bearing. No regrets so far.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

The borg warner T5 clutch is the best in my mind. They put it behind the Mustang V8's and it grabs nice with the foot pressure you are used to.

A centerforce clutch, while it does grab nice needs over 100 lb on the pedal to push it down! My wife needed to pull up on the steering wheel even to get the bugger down.

It would be great for a hydraulic setup though.

I broke my centerforce pressure plate and went back to the old borg warner pressure plate I took out and love it.

I learned....

Mike

Fletcher wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you heard metal on metal, better figure on re-facing the fly wheel also.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Can I come over and get that CenterForce from you?

I have one in my CJ, and I like the way it grabs. I can make it slip if I want, but I have a 73 Crawl Ratio, so slipping it doesn't happen very often. When I need to slip it, I just put in in 1st and LO range, and let her rip. I scream into motion at a blinding 1/2 mph.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm running a C.F. Duel friction and I can say that after using it for 80K + miles, the pedel is just a touch stiffer than stock (manual linkage)....not by much at all. Although you shouldn't do it, I can slip this clutch all day and it won't smoke/burn...it's really something else. Bad news is the price and I've had a slight vibration since installed....the ring holding the weights on mine is always off to one side and not centered.....that, I don't like. Now my buddy went with a $150 autozone clutch kit and hates it.. it slips and if you look at it wrong, it smokes. I need to replace mine now as well....any thoughts on the Hays kits???

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

I had the same prob with my Duel Friction. I had replaced the engine (258) with a long block. I had my old flywheel resurfaced but not balanced (oops). Calling C.F. I was told that it was a commom problem with 258's. The remedy?...have your engine and flywheel balanced. Maybe next year.

SM

85 CJ7 :258, 4.0L head,Mopar MPI,Borla header/Cat-back,Centerforce Duel friction clutch,NP435 tranny,Danna 300 transfer,Danna 44 front, Ford 9" rear, 4.5" lift, reverse shackle,etc,etc,etc......and no money.
Reply to
imbecile