new meaning to "serpentine belt"

...so the other day, the cat and the dog are out by the driveway, and I'm hearing this "activity" out there... and the cat has an almost 3 foot even gray snake cornered. Pretty soon the snake wrangles under the jeep and disappears.

The cat and the dog give up after 1/2 hour, but I'm still standing there trying to figure out what to do. I usually coax animals out with tuna fish or doggie biskits but that's not gonna work.

So my wife sez to open the hood. And there it is on top of the radiator, you might say "blending in". I kind of drop the hood and then think, well, why don't I start the engine, and the thing'll get too hot and maybe come out. (the engine was cold)

So I start it up. It idles for a three or four minutes or so, and now it's starting to get suspenseful. Do I peek under the hood just to "check"? Then, just like in an old roadrunner cartoon, we hear a THWACK THWACK THWACK and the head comes flying out underneath and then the end of the tail comes out underneath and then... silence.

So we wait a minute and the fact that it's gotta be dead sinks in, so I turn it off and...open the hood. And there wrapped around the fan blade mechanism - almost in a knot - is the rest of the snake, and I see that there is a certain amount of snake guts splayed under the hood.

Eventually I worked the pieces out with a stick and hosed off everything (it needed it anyway...) and that was that. Yikes !

C.P.

Reply to
Captain Purple

The moral of that story is starting the engine might not be the best way to get a snake out from your engine compartment

I think I would have started with blowing the horn... or maybe getting the hose and spraying the snake while it was still alive and could get out on it's own!

Jeff DeWitt

Capta> ...so the other day, the cat and the dog are out by the driveway, and I'm

hearing this "activity" out there...

snake wrangles under the jeep and

trying to figure out what to do. I

might say "blending in". I kind

thing'll get too hot and maybe

starting to get suspenseful. Do I

cartoon, we hear a THWACK THWACK

comes out underneath and then...

it off and...open the hood. And

of the snake, and I see that

needed it anyway...) and that was

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Dude! You shoulda seen that coming ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

lol...Great story!

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY

Ick.

I had a similar experience with our Kawasaki Mule: We keep it at our cabin in northern Michigan, and when we went up in April I started it up and heard a "THUNK" and then a high-pitch noise that varied with engine speed. We have field mice everywhere up there so I'm thinking there's a damn nest in the transmission. It has a belt-drive constantly variable transmission, similar to a snowmobile, and the exhaust vent tube isn't screened, although the intake vent is.

So I end up removing the housing cover and lo and behold, there's a HUGE mouse nest in there, and when I pull the housing cover out and dump it I see about 4 large pieces of mouse, with the rest sprayed on the inside of the housing and all over the belt. So I use hot water and a scrub brush to clean the mouse parts off the belt and the inside of the cover, and blow out all the nest parts. Once everything's clean it all seemed to work. I went to the local hardware and got a steel straining screen to cover the vent tube.

It took a couple hours for the cooking mouse smell to go away, though.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Last spring when I changed my air filter on the TJ I found the airbox to be full of nuts and seed...I'm guessing one or more of the thousands of Chipmunks in the area spent the winter in my engine...lol...no biggie :)

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY