Newbie Turbo question

Hi

Im a newbie to 4x4 and my Cherokee is my first 4x4. Its a 2.5 Litre and is about 8 weeks old :). My concern is the turbo. The salesman said that as long as i wasn't revving the engine before i turn off the engine the turbo would not need idling time to cool down. The manual gives contrary advice, it says the turbo should always be given cooling time quoting from '1min' for easy load to '10min' for heavy load. Occasionally i hear the bearings turning after ive shut the engine off. I don't off road and am taking it fairly easy speedwise, The revs are never beyond 3000rpm whilst driving. Its a UK model, and could someone explain 'WJ' ,'YJ','TJ'?

PS: I love my cherokee. Thanks for any help and advice. Cheers

Skimmer

Reply to
Mark

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Go with the manual.

The CJ,YJ,TJ are short wheel base jeeps:

The Cherokee you have is called the Liberty in the US and is the KJ. The previous Cherokee is the XJ.

The current Grand Cherokee is the WJ (99 and up) The previous Grand Cherokee is the ZJ.

Dave Milne

Get yourself a "turbo timer"--it will keep it going based on runtime parameters.

Caveat: I don't know if they are available for Diesels!

Paul B.

Reply to
PLB49

Personally, I can't stand salesmen (cars or widgets) and there would be no way I'd take their advice on anything mechanical with my new vehicle. Go with the Manual. They didn't recycle 30% consumer waste and kill a pine tree to print it for nothing!! ;-)

John

Reply to
John R

Thanks to all who responded. Going to go with the manual. :)

Reply to
Mark