no power back fire

Would any one know what caused this(mike)? 87 yj 2.5 Strange back fire at 2300 rpm's been doing since i droped in this engine. Been about 5 years. The other day out driving it back fired and just lost power and died. Didnt want to start back up either. Finally got it started and limped back home. Could it be the cat. ? Or the throttle body? I gave it a tune up this past summer and when i replaced the dist. cap the roter had a big chunk burned out of it. I think i should start there. Any idea's Thanks

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Plug wires, coil, does that year have adjustable timing? I would also look at the distributor mechanicals.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Nope you cant adjust the timeing. I looked at the dist. tonight and there is no slope if you try and move the shaft.Plugs look good to.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Thats what one of the guy's at work said to. I could see that happing. If it did skip . When i replace it the marks would be off . So how would you set them?

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers