Noise from the exhaust

Is it possible to hear valve clatter from the exhaust. Just happen to be standing behind my Jeep while it was idling in the garage and I could hear what sounded like valve clatter or I guess you could say a loud taping. Running '89 Wrangler 6 cylinder with Hanson exhaust and A brand new engine....overhauled.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Dow

If the exhaust is new, look for a bolt or hanger that has come loose or a clearance issue with the engine running. Sometimes with the engine running it will displace the exhaust just enough so it contacts something else.

Jay

Reply to
Johnathan Marrin

You may want to check the catalytic converter, if you have one. Mine made quite a rattle when the catalyst broke apart. It also partially clogged the exhaust outlet at times, causing a discernable power loss and an odd exhaust note.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Rohleder