Noisy Ticking Lifter? (longish)

92 Wrangler YJ L6 HO 140K miles.

Symptom: Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, for about 5 seconds then goes away for 10 seconds, then repeats - er, sometimes... Happens hot or cold (used to be just cold). Was extremely infrequent. Now, it happens daily for 20 days now. When hot, goes away immdiately upon acceleration (at least I can't hear it anymore). Comes back at idle while at a light, stop sign, etc.

My attempts at troubleshooting: I thought it was the injectors. Unpluged each of them one at a time during the "tick" - no change. So, it can't be the injectors. I thought it was the stock header that was cracked. Visibly I can see no cracks (used mirrors on the underside and all around). I cannot feel any hot blowing air using my hand. Of course near the front cylinder the fan may mask a leak that I cannot see. Tried 1 qt. of ATF in the crankcase for 500 miles, then oil/filter change. At first I thought that did it, now it's actually worse (sigh).

History: Running Mobil 1 synthetic since 70K. Motor does not smoke or burn any oil between changes. Oil comes out clean as can be expected after 3k miles. Zero sludge.

What I haven't done: Time chain/gear set - could this make that "tick"?

Questions: Lifters/pushrods are way cheap. Is it true the lifters can be removed from the top with an extraction tool? Anybody done it and care to comnment? A collapsed lifter doesn't necessarily mean a bad cam lobe does it?

Searching google on lifter/valve noise brings up so many possible solutions and "maybe's". I'd thought I'd ask again anyway. Tonight at home we'll see what Haynes has to say. Until then, thanks for your opinions.

bjc

Reply to
brianc

brianc did pass the time by typing:

That can also be a cracked exhaust header.

Look around and see if you can find a smily face on one of the pipes.

Mine was cracked right at the lower union where it was welded up.

are other pictures out there.

Replaced with the Banks, happy since.

Reply to
DougW