nutter by pass for 89 yj

couple of questions does anyone have the how to for an 87 and up nutter by pass. as I understand there is a colour difference in the wiring somewhere. can someone give me the modified protocol for the wiring bypass using a the newer wire colours for an 87 and on. and how much do I turn in the idle mix screws just until it starts to miss? Thanx to all. Scott

Reply to
u know who

How did the re-test go?

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I just did one on an 87 YJ. The wires colors (Orange & Purple?) are correct at the distributor, and also correct on the control module. They are different inside the harness going to the control module.

As far as adjusting the mixture, I leaned it until the RPM dropped, and backed off 1/2 turn.

Reply to
Steve Foley

I think the best is to just add 2 new wires so you don't have to mess around inside the wiring harness.

You should read the thread on Jeep CJ 258 acceleration issues.

Here are a couple good links on tweaking the 258's:

And before you attempt to mess with the mix, the mix must work so here is a good link on that:

Before you start, a carb kit is only about $20.00 at CT and is easy to put in. You really need that carb working or it will 'never' set stable.

When you set the mix, you need to turn the screws 1/4 at a time with a rev between each turn. When it starts to miss, back them out 1/4 turn or just until the burble goes away. The 'sniffer' likes a slight burble.

Mike

u know who wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

ha their dyno hard drive broke going in on Monday now. they did acknowledge that the emission standard for a 4.0L and 4.2L is different so I get a free redo on my first test

Reply to
u know who

Yep at your recommendation that's what I did, and it took all of what......2min?

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Who/What/Where is 'CT'?

Reply to
Steve Foley

Ahh, Canadian Tire Store up here in Canada. The OP (original poster) is Canadian eh.

Mike

Steve Foley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Canadian Tire

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

crappy tire lol

2min to install rebuild kit now that's funny... considering the last rebuild kit I did was for a 4 barrel quadra jet from a firebird 15 years ago.

Reply to
u know who

I think he was taking about the wiring.....

The kit still doesn't take long and I don't mess with any parts or adjustments that don't need to be messed with to clean them.

Mike

u know who wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ya I ment the wiring, I actually replaced my carb with the older CJ model, same thing only no emissions stuff.

Like mike said, add the wires it's a lot cleaner and faster and as he's said before it can be romoved fast....I sound like a parrot, but I dont wanna take credit for Mikes sound advice

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

I thought I was going to drive south to Connecticut.

Anyone know where to get one south of the 49th parallel?

Reply to
Steve Foley

ok so this is what I'm doing,,,,,,,, I want to clarify as I seem to be getting confused( don't ask) Orange wire at distributor connects to orange wire at ignition module, Purple wire from distributor connects to purple wire at ignition module......SOOO cut and run new wire as out lined above.? leaving the other wires disconnected from the system.

Reply to
u know who

Yup. All except for the purple which has to go on the module side of the plug, I do the cuts on the wiring harness side of the plugs so the parts can be replaced easy if needed. I always stagger the cuts by a

1/2" or so, so there is no danger of the wires you left shorting to each other or cap them with heat shrink.

CT has some wicked doubled walled heat shrink with a heat activated glue inside to weatherproof them. Works great.

Mike

u know who wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

sweet to easy I just got a call my egr is in and so is the last evap canister in Canada./ north America

Reply to
u know who

I've got a late update for everyone on this.... I just did this on my 89 YJ 258. The wires are the same except....DC did something really funky. Not used to DC motors... The wires that come out of the ignition module are correctly color coded, but then there is a wiring harness plug, and most of them change colors...Why in the world they would do that is beyond me... The colors at the distributor are also correct... Strange, very strange.... All went well thought..... Thanks ALL Seattle WA Robb S 89 YJ 258 Build in progress... ps... tomorrow I install my 4 1/2" Rubicon extreme Wish me luck

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com