NY / Long Island area installer recommendations?

any recommendations for an installer in the NY / Long Island / Nassa

County area?

I have a 99 TJ and looking to install a lift kit and install 33's So far the kit I had in mind was the 3.5" Super-Flex Kit by Rubico Express, but I'm not 100% married to it yet. If there's something els the installer carries and is somewhat "name brand" I could go for tha as well. Only because I trust name-brands a bit better than some supe budget kit no-one's heard of...

also, any other tips, such as - should I buy the kit online and brin it, or buy what they have, and how much should I expect as far as time an money for the install to take.

PS, I've been using the car as a daily driver and currently am doin about 80 miles a day, but next month that will drop to about 2 miles/day - hence why I waited so long to do this... but I still wil be doing some highway miles - so any warnings on the lift or 33's for daily driver are also welcome.

thanks in advanc

-- Mik

Mike

NY / Long Island '03 Wrangler X - Freedom Editio

Mike

What engine and transmission do you have? Are you trying to take it out 4 wheeling or just like the look?

If you are going to be 4-wheeling it, do you intend to do trails, rock climbing, or mudding?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Which Rear end do you have?

I have an O2, with 32's and a 2 inch lift. 6cyl 5spd 3.73 rear, I can still use 5th gear but in stop and go Traffic on the L.I.E. ... I HATE IT. I love my jeep, but i cant use it as my daily driver, especially with gas prices the way they are. It also does not have the pick up that it had with the stock tires.

JOHN

Reply to
John

It's the 6 cyl, with a manual transmission.

I can't say for sure when I'd have the time to take it 4 wheelin, s it's more for the look - but - this doesn't mean I wouldn't want to b able to go if I wanted to... I do need to keep it's ability to be daily driver thoug

-- Mik

Mike

NY / Long Island '03 Wrangler X - Freedom Editio

Mike

John,

thanks - but even stock it sucks driving a manual in stop and g traffic. I take the LIE every day, but luckily I don't drive during rush hours so I only hit traffic when there's road work going on - so every othe day instead of every day.

I thought about doing the gears too while I'm at it..

-- Mik

Mike

NY / Long Island '03 Wrangler X - Freedom Editio

Mike

I don't live in NY, so I can't help you there, but I'll toss in my $.02

Firstly, I'd suggest stepping up to the RE 4.5". Basically the same kit with taller springs for about the same money, unless the pricing has changed. It will look/function better with your 33s, IMO. RE is a great kit, go with it. Way above 'brand' names like Rancho, Trail Master, etc.

Secondly, (I don't know your mechanical abilities) if you have a place and can do the install yourself, you will understand what is going wrong and when, and you can better service and maintain the lift. You will occasionally have to check proper torque on components, lube zerks, replace bushings, etc. Things will loosen up and when you start hearing those klunks, bindings, etc. you can correct it yourself. Don't expect the quickie lube guys to properly take care of your rig.

Whatever you do, good luck, and welcome to the NG. tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Mike wrote:

Reply to
twaldron
4.5" Super flex is $1462, 3.5" super flex is $879, 3.5" standard is $572.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Thanks for checking Carl. Checked the site and the 3.5" kit is missing the upper adjustable control arms and the adjustable ft. track bar, both of which I would add in. I'm sure the price is comparable at that point.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > 4.5" Super flex is $1462, 3.5" super flex is $879, 3.5" standard is $572. >

Reply to
twaldron

Thanks guys, I wouldn't mind spending a little extra for the 4.5"

I was hoping not to spend more than $3000 for the lift + wheels + tires

  • gears.

I'm hearing now that installing the gears is really expensive due to the ammount of labor is takes.

Still haven't gotten any recommendations of an installer - and I don't want to spend a day or more doing this stuff - just to find out I'm missing some tool or some other nonsense and be left with a Jeep in pieces in my driveway. I like to tinker but at the same time I know my limits, and I'm not about to take on a project this size...

Got my office move date of June 9th, so no more long highway miles for me - so it's basically a green light for this... I just would really love to find a shop that has some experience doing this type of stuff, that I could go back to if I had a problem down the road.

There's a bunch of speed shops in Queens, along Queens blvd... though they seem to cater to those little annoying imports... wondering if that's my best bet around here??

Reply to
Mike

I don't know about doing a kit like that, but when I need spring work on my trucks with leaf springs, I go to local truck shops that do big semi tractor and dump truck springs. They were fighting over who got to do my little 'toy' truck, but the boss jumped them all and did it himself. LOL!

These folks sell springs, they don't cater to the niche market of 4x4's so they don't claim their mechanic's tools are gold plated, or price them like that anyway... I got new springs, arched for 2.5" with a replacement pre arched keeper leaf installed for under $250.00 Canadian a set....

It might be worth a check in the yellow pages and a call...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike-

Your CJ only has a 2.5" lift?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Yup, I have YJ shackles on it that give it another 1/2" or so, but that's it.

I clear the 33's easy, I never seem to get hung up off road and it handles sweet at highway speeds. It's been on a 3000 mile vacation trip and a 4500 mile vacation trip with another 3000+ one coming up this summer.

Plus it 'looks' right. :-) It has the classic CJ stance and face with stock 'Laredo' chrome grill, rims and stainless bumpers. My 33x9.5's fit the fender flares exact.

Mike

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I think you should check the yellow pages for an professional axle or spring shop.

Reply to
billy ray

With that said, I am from LI, The only place that I can recommend is Terry Auto Spings in Huntington. They did some work on MY dads RV a years back.

I have done all my own work, Sign up and Join the yahoo group LI jeepers. There are about 8 or 9 of us here, everyone is pretty Knowledgable. SOme of the other guys may know of a place. But we all tend to do our own work, or know someone to help with the stuff we cant do.

Reply to
John