O.T. trailer wire harnes = brake warning light on. 1992 GMC Serria

Just a the pick up wired for 8 wire harness to tow the camping trailer. About 15 mins from the house the brake warning light came on. It stayed on for the rest of the trip home. After about 20 mins I headed off to my parents place, at first the warning light was OFF, after about 10 mins it came back on.

Reply to
Snow

They may have left a little air in the hydraulic controlled brake control lever at your steering wheel, that's throwing your proportional valve warning switch. It may have bleed it's self back into the reservoir. Unless yours is just hooked to the brake light switch. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I wonder if the brake system is somehow sensing additional load from the e-brake module. Not sure about the GMC trucks, but I remember something about a diode being needed with some e-brake units to prevent the warning light from coming on.

Reply to
DougW

I have seen strange things sometimes that require a trailer ground wire, the ball is sometimes used.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Forgot to mention , the trailer has electric brakes.

Thanks for the ideas.... I'll see if I can find anything on the control unit.

Snow..

Reply to
Snow

But what operates the control level you should have within hands reach for emergencies. Is that also electric or do you see an extra "T" coming off your master cylinder? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

This sounds strangely familiar. More info please.

Merrill

Reply to
merrill

The brake controller is straight electric operation, with two adjustment wheels. one adjusts the internal pendulem angle and the other adjusts the amount of braking force of the electric brakes.

there are 3 wires that run from the controller ( I can't see if there is a fourth wire or not). These wires run to the battery and one wire (blue I think) runs rearward. I'm figuring that somewhere down the back of the truck is where they tap'ed into the brake, turn lights.

This looks very similar to my controller

'll double check the make and get back to you. Thanks again

Snow...

Reply to
Snow