O2 sensor error

Hi all,

Engine light came on a week after installing a Borla header on my 97 4.0 I6 TJ - 59,700 miles auto trans. It is the header that is bolt on replacement (no fab to cross pipe can't remember the part #). Error code says O2 sensor. I disconnected the battery cable to clear the error, but it came back on in 2 days of driving. I thought I would get the O2 sensor error while my old header was cracked. The stock header weld was entirely broke at one of the 2 to 1 welds with a couple other cracks. It was bad. I have a couple questions.

  1. How can ya tell which sensor it is?
  2. Could the new header be the culprit somehow?
  3. Would error feedback anything to computer to make engine run a little more sluggish? (almost stalled out today)
  4. Could the sensor be telling me that my cat is getting clogged?
  5. How can ya tell if cat "is" getting clogged?
  6. Any ceramic in the sensor like a spark plug? (So I know how hard I muscle it out without breaking)
  7. Do these things go out often or is it telling me something else is going bad?

Thanks !!

Kevin

97 TJ
Reply to
Kevin KC8GAB

L.W.(ßill)

Bill, thanks for the link. Sensors are below the header so they were not removed or touched.

Kevin

[...]

Bill, I bought this model due to it being direct bolt on with no fab to pipe. It has the same mounting bolt points and same length as the stock one. Borla

17127 is the part #. 98-99 Tj's, but works with 97 too. I could have got other Borla headers but would lose a couple inches of clearance where pipe is routed under bell housing. Ease of install and not smashing a lower pipe seemed like the one to go with.

Kevin