OBD-II Scanners

I'm looking for a scanner, finally. Does anyone know anything about the AutoTap PC based system? As opposed to just spitting out a code, I like the displays on the PC screen...comments?

TIA, tw

Reply to
twaldron

Ah, I just went with a Actron CP9145....no PC stuff but portable.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

I have a slightly older version of this:

D> I'm looking for a scanner, finally. Does anyone know anything about the

Reply to
Clap Trap

I've got a pc based VAG-COM that's VW specific and it's fantastic for VW's and it's OBD2 mode works fine on my 99 xj 4.0L Be advised there are several standards. A lot of older Chrysler and most European use the same standard, ISO 9141 as I recall. Get one that is compatible with the most vehicles as possible. Here's one you may want to look at.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

That's a plus in my book. The 9145 is a cheap, useful tool that will likely do more than you will ever need it to. It's also upgradeable to newer OBD technology.

Reply to
Outatime

Reply to
RoyJ

Not they way I was understanding the 9145 Scanner...are you talking about the 9175 Reader...not that it matters? I need this to read 1997 Ford, 2001 Jeep, 2003 Jeep, and 2006 Nissan. I believe they are all OBC-II past 1996. Don't know why 2004-2006 would be any different. Please explain.

tw

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

A plain OBDII reader should be fine for all your vehicles with the possible exception of the 2006 Nissan.

I did a google search, was not coming up with anything definitive. I was looking at buying a scanner last summer (working a problem with another vehicle). My research said that OBD I was a '80's to 1995 vintage system, plain OBD II was mid 90's (depends on what vehicle), the CAN system (Controller Area Network) protocol was introduced on SOME vehicles in 2004, all vehicles by 2008(?) The plug is the same for CAN vehicles, the software is different. The plain OBD II would work for my current vehicles, just seemed silly to buy something that would not work for any new vehicles. Price was about double to get the CAN capability, didn't buy anything.

A pla> Not they way I was understanding the 9145 Scanner...are you talking

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
twaldron

Ok. I called Actron and they said all CP9145s from 2005 and up are CAN compatible and have newer software installed. Since I'm ordering new there is little to no chance that I'd receive and older model unless it gets pulled from some really old stock. Also, their site says this for the 9145:

- Tool is fully upgradeable, accommodating future vehicles (including C.A.N.)

Which is nice! :) So, I should be good to go on the '06 Nissan too. It was $188 shipped, so that's not too bad. I can pay that off with a couple of Check Engine lights.

Those IEQUUS products look really nice as well, and are about the same price for the top end ones. ($199)

Thanks for your input.

tw

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

OBD II was required on all passenger cars and light trucks offered for sale in the USA since 1996. There are a small number of cars and trucks that had OBD II capability from 1995, but that is more of a production issue with the automaker than compliance to the law. The law says it is not required until '96 production.

I tend to stay pretty close to this sort of stuff, and I am not aware of a move away from OBD II. Certainly, there are conventions that are better, and CAN has been around for a very long time. I'm pretty sure that CAN serves a different purpose than OBD II, and finding a new CAN is certainly possible without any change to the diagnostic interface of OBD II.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The manual in my 9145 states it is CAN upgradable ($30 plug-in board), and it works fine as-is with any generic OBD-compatible PCM, including my '05 TJL. I've also used it with an '06 PT Cruiser.

Reply to
Outatime

You must have one of the earlier models then.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Did you buy this direct from Actron or from someone else (and whom)? Thanks, Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

This may be a dumb question, but being a newbie I'll allow it of myself. What if any are the limitations of the CP9125. I realize that it won't do CAN but for my current cars this should cover my basic need to read the codes. Am I missing something?

Reply to
Kevtrane

No, retail on this item is much higher than what I paid...about $300.

I just went through Amazon.

tw

Tomes wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

I think the 9125 is simply a reader, so yes, it will cover your basic need to read the codes. Visit Actron's site for the many differences in their products.

tw

Reply to
twaldron