odd ticking

4.0 I6

Doing my usual maintenance and picked up on a rhythmic tick from the front/passenger side of the engine? Looks like the harmonic balancer might not be running true.. little wobbly but nothing so far off as to be a real problem. Thing is the tick was not repeating fast enough.

Too far forward to be the oil pump and too far down to be a cracked plug on #1 (Gong to check that now) but it did seem to come from the front of the engine.

Hmm.. Actually the headlights were on.. need to go make sure it wasn't the charging circuit relay. Know it wasn't the AC compressor. :)

Actually I wonder if it might be the timing chain? It's not a scraping noise, more of a slap/tick.. which I suppose could be just that. ..oh joy.. :/

Oh well, I'm sure the problem will become apparent in due time. :| It's easier to find the broken part when it's laying in a puddle of oil under the engine.

Reply to
DougW

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Cam bearings? I am thinking of the one with the thrust surface on it.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle Horton did pass the time by typing:

Possibly, I sure hope not, that takes the head off. if it was higher I'd suspect rods/valve/spring/rocker thought about a collapsed lifter but the engine is running nice and strong.

Gonna have to crawl around with the stethoscope.

Reply to
DougW

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

didn't think of that. Looked at the belt and didn't see anthing but didn't look that close and I have been going through some construction areas and definitly have been picking up rocks.

Easy enough to pull the belt off and look.

Reply to
DougW

I'm with Doug and Bill. Pulling the accessory belt will also rule out an accessory. If you pull it and the noise goes away, you've narrowed it down a bit. It might be something as simple as a rock that got inside the alternator case.

Reply to
JD Adams

I noticed the same on mine .Was sweating for a bit , hmm, a lifter, a bearing..but I relized it was something so silly. I did the old ear searching for the noise and found it. The item was that vacuum relay for emission just left of the valve cover. It clatters for a while then stops. I noiced from inside.. and sure enough when I hear that noise happened it's that nutty valve. That damn thing makes enough noise ..LOL

SCOTT

Reply to
Scott S.

A wee little bitty Exhaust leak maybe?

Reply to
Kate

JD Adams did pass the time by typing:

Well, pulled the belt, checked all over, even whacked the engine a few times with ye-olde mallet.

and a teeny rock fell out of the alternator case.

whadda ya know, my alternator was stoned.

Reply to
DougW

MUHAHAHAHA!! Was the the source of the noise, or just a witty observation?

Reply to
JD Adams

JD Adams did pass the time by typing:

I'm hoping it was the soure of the noise. :)

Reply to
DougW

LOL!

Mike

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If it was, let me know. This means I get to advance to the leavel of "Apprentice Guru", with an appropriate increase in pay, of course.

I once chased a rattly-ticking nose for months. Turned out to be a tiny rock that managed to get in behind the crank pully on a FWD beater car. Thankfully I pulled it out before it ate the seal.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

FOFLMAO! That was funny

Damn, glad to hear it was just a little stoned instead of cracked up

Reply to
Kate